From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of shempmcgurk
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:05 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Tattoos, body modifications, and the inner you

I recently had an online discussion about tattoos and body modifications. My
contention was that it is okay to prejudge people by virtue of their tattoos
and body modifications.

Skin color and beauty are things we have no control over and we should not,
of course, judge a person on those bases. But tattoos and body modifications
are done out of free choice and not only is it natural for us to make
judgements about people based on this visual observation, it is acceptable.
Why? Because these things are an expression of one's inner person.

When I made this observation it was suggested that I was being unfairly
discriminating. What set this reaction off was that I said I would never do
business with someone who had those god-awful round earrings, popular with
some young men, that are embedded into ear lobes -- about the size of
nickels -- with holes in them where the ear lobe is supposed to be. Just
looking at those things make me VERY uncomfortable and if someone who had
that done to them were to try to sell me, say, a financial product like an
IRA I would not do business with them solely on that basis...even if it
turned out to be the greatest financial product there is.

And that really set people off.

But then I countered with: if someone had a big, fat swaztika tattooed on
their cheek, would YOU do business with them?

The response? Silence.

Now, studs in lips or ear lobe modifications are a far cry from swaztikas,
certainly, but I contend they are on the same spectrum and that I am with
the realm of reason to use these things as a basis to discriminate. Both
ends of the spectrum are done of free choice and both are expressions of the
inner person...and if I am made uncomfortable by them, why not discriminate
against that person on that basis?
Are you suggesting that society should discriminate against such people, by
not letting them eat in certain restaurants, for instance, or that you
should be free to discriminate by not doing business with them (which you
already are)?