--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

> Hey Raunch, do I get brownie points for posting this?

Rick, thanks for posting the Amnesty International petition. It's one the few
organizations I regularly donate to. I would hope that you posted it as a
person of conscience and not as the disingenuous person posing in your comment.
Violence against women is a serious business.

I wasn't going to write about this, but your post is just a reminder of what my
family has been dealing with the past few days.

My brother's daughter, 28 years-old, is the mother of three boys by three
different men. The first boy is 12 his father is African American. The second
boy is 6 his father is also African American. The third boy is 1 his father is
a Lebanese American Muslim. Last Friday night, father number three, choked,
raped and sodomized my niece. She spent two days in the hospital recovering
from injuries.

All I can feel is overwhelming sadness for her and unbelievable rage washing
over my heart like hot ice. I don't dwell on it but now that I'm talking about
it, I'm feeling the rawness of it all. Everyone experiences family loss and
tragedy. I'm no different from anyone else in that respect. I don't expect pity
or reproach for telling this story. It just is what it is, another example of
tragic everyday violence against women.

When images come to my awareness of the rapist boyfriend holding my precious
niece against her will, forcing himself on her while she screams and his baby
cries for her, I want to claw his face to shreds and kill the fucker with my
bare hands. He's lucky he's in jail. My brother feels the same way as I do. I
worry he really would beat the shit out of this guy and probably end up in jail
himself.

I have a very low tolerance for drama in my personal relationships. Life is
good. My niece and the other hand, has had one dramatic event in her life after
another, living with a series of jackass boyfriends who beat her up. Now that
it has come to this, extreme violence bordering on homicide is it reasonable to
ask: Was she asking for it? What did she do or say to provoke him?  Did they
have too much to drink? Why does she always pick violent men? Why doesn't she
have more self respect? What kind of a mother would allow her child to live in
a violent home? The onus is always on the woman. Why is that? I'm interested to
hear what others think.

I comfort my mother and pray for my brother. Violence against women isn't so
far away. It's in our homes, quietly hidden in families too afraid or ashamed
to tell anyone about it. I'm talking and it's damn painful. I don't have the
any answers for my niece, but I do have a responsibility to speak on her behalf
and tell her story, here and now just to see if I'm alone in the echo chamber
or resonating with someone out there I don't know.

Women of courage are not silent. Hillary was the first person to say, women's
rights are human rights. It was such an obvious statement to me, but it was
considered bold and controversial in China and the world received it as if it
was an amazing revelation.

It's a damn sick society we live in. It's sick that we have to twist Congress'
arm just to do the right thing and support the International Violence against
Women Act. What say you?