Satsang Fairfield, the Middle Way:

Notes:

The purpose of doing this type of vaipassana, which is not the classic way,
what's done over the years, is to amalgamate the TM practice and vaipassana
practice so that you're dealing with the transcendent and you're also dealing
with observation, and getting yourself into a position where you can balance
observation and transcendence.

When we do TM the whole purpose of doing TM is transcending, so we don't pay
attention to the mind. When you do vaipassana the idea is to get into the mind.
They're coming from completely different places.

What we want to do is observe the process of transcending, how you're going
from just thinking and gradually collapsing back toward the transcending
process. It's similar to TM advanced techniques where they said we'd be able to
sit up above the transcendent so everything wouldn't just go into a black hole
of the transcendent. That's the level that we're looking at. What you learn to
do is discipline the consciousness so it can stay in certain levels, certain
strata of consciousness.

Application,
Between these two video clips.

> Dan Siegel:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4Od7kqDT8
>
> Dr. Dan Siegel, MD, father of modern attachment psychiatry and
> meditation researcher on Google Tech Talks Personal Growth Series
> speaks on the new science of personal transformation.

And Hagelin.

about the unified field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrcWntw9juM&feature=related

Xxoo

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5" <dhamiltony...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:
> >

> > Typically vipashyana but it ranges from vipashyana (insight
> > meditation) to shamatha (samadhi meditation) to nondual 'resting in
> > the natural state' or the union of vipashyana and shamatha. Roughly
> > speaking, you can divide these into two styles: Open Presence
> > meditation or Fixed Attention meditation.
>
> That is interesting.  Is there anyone teaching a middle way between these
> two?
>
> Like combining the mindful with open presence transcending.  Sort of like
> mindful technique of Patanjali in practice, just may be not that
> nomenclature.  Is there a secular version being taught in the middle way of
> both orthodox Eastern meditation practices; between Buddhist
> mindfulness-insight practices on the one hand and  TM type transcending on
> the other. (?)
>
> Yes, both orthodoxy  are known to go crazy in the comparison with the other.
> However, is there anything formulating like the TMSP practiced out of
> Patanjali in a form like a mindfulness transcending.   Anybody incorporating
> the two descriptions in teaching a technique?  Mindfulness with transcending?
>

> In practice is possibly how Hagelin, Travis, Siegel, and even Herb Bensen can
>  talk the similar inter disciplinary research points and get to the same
> policy place in their thinking.  Are some of these techniques in the middle
> effectively the same but with different clothing from the proprietary ones of
> orthodoxy on either side?
>
> Just wondering,
>
> -Doug in FF

> > > Of the different settings that are using these techniques that they
> > > are studying, who teaches the techniques?
> >
> > Depends on who's doing the research and where. Sometimes it's monks,
> > sometimes it might be a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction instructor
> > (MBSR), etc.
> >
> > > What is the array of techniques and who are they taught?
> >
> > Typically vipashyana but it ranges from vipashyana (insight
> > meditation) to shamatha (samadhi meditation) to nondual 'resting in
> > the natural state' or the union of vipashyana and shamatha. Roughly
> > speaking, you can divide these into two styles: Open Presence
> > meditation or Fixed Attention meditation.
> >
> > > Led group meditations? Lay instructors, therapist ounselors, bring
> > > in non-secular ordained or certified people,, classroom teachers
> > > otherwise, or health clinic staffs like who teach the various
> > > techniques that are like TM. Individual instruction, classroom
> > > instruction? Learned and practiced by led meditations? ala quiet
> > > time meditations structured in to the work or school days. Sounds
> > > like Siegel is following a number of settings and finding similar
> > > results.
> > >
> > > Just wondering.

xxoo