When Maharishi made us teachers in 1970, during the TTC he explained that
during the initiation ceremony [Puja], the teacher 'picks up the mantra from
the Transcendent and gives it to the initiate who repeats it and follows it
back to the Trancendent.'

Maharishi had already explained that this occurs because during the Puja the
teacher -so to speak- momentarily 'becomes Guru Dev' and the mantra becomes
enlivened at that Trancendent level.

He made a big fuss about how powerful and beneficial this is for the initiator
[the teacher].

As a TM teacher since that time and having personally initiated  hundreds if
not a thousand or so people, that's my experience.

Damjan Jovanovic, by his OWN experience, has correctly illustrated what happens
at the level of the experience of the initiate [student].

Guru Dev is the center of the Puja. The Puja is an Invocation. That means that
Guru Dev is invoked and comes forth to sponsor the initiate and -so to speak-
'give' the mantra. Otherwise the mantra is not enlivened from the beginning.

It is not a good idea to speak the mantra out loud unless to check your
pronunciation with your initiator. A qualified TM teacher is able to properly
answer your questions about this privately.