--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Nothing short of ultrahypermegasensational! Force India (Fisichella)
> ended up second after Ferrari (Kimi The Red-nose "Drunkard")!
> FI had zero points before this race!
>
> That might well be "ominous", let me tell ya...

Your enthusiasm about F1 reminds me of my youth, Card.
I spent (or misspent, depending on your POV) some of
it following racing, and even doing a little SCCA
racing myself.

I never had a competitive car, and did it Just For Fun.
The *most* fun, however, was making friends with a guy
who had an old F1 car (a Lotus, from the 3.0 liter
non-blown days of racing). I sucked up like mad, and
it finally paid off when he let me drive it around a
track for a few laps.

Driving a Formula 1 car on concrete has been likened
to driving a high-powered sports car on hard ice. That
analogy is correct. It scared the shit out of me. I
could "put the pedal to the metal" on a straightaway
at 130 miles per hour and spin my wheels. Suffice it
to say that F1 races are won by tenths of a second
and my lap times were 10 to 20 seconds away from the
regular driver's. I gained a great respect for the
level of skill that F1 drivers bring to the cockpit
that day, and a realization that I was not even
remotely in their class.

So who's good these days? And is F1 racing more about
the car (the best equipe wins) these days, or the
driver (a good driver in a less-than-top-rank car
can still win a race)? It sounds to me from what you
are excited about that the latter sometimes still
rears its head.

That's exciting. I'm old enough to have seen Stirling
Moss race. I once saw him win a race in a car that was
not given a ghost of a chance of even finishing in the
top ten.