>From Telegraph.com.uk:

Gordon Brown: I'm proud to say sorry to a real war hero

The treatment of code-breaker Alan Turing was utterly unfair, says Gordon Brown

By Gordon Brown
Published: 9:30PM BST 10 Sep 2009

Computer pioneer Alan Turing, who helped crack
German Enigma codes during WWII This has been a
year of deep reflection – a chance for Britain,
as a nation, to commemorate the profound debts we
owe to those who came before. A unique
combination of anniversaries and events have
stirred in us that sense of pride and gratitude
that characterise the British experience. Earlier
this year, I stood with Presidents Sarkozy and
Obama to honour the service and the sacrifice of
the heroes who stormed the beaches of Normandy 65
years ago. And just last week, we marked the 70
years which have passed since the British
government declared its willingness to take up
arms against fascism and declared the outbreak of
the Second World War.

So I am both pleased and proud that, thanks to a
coalition of computer scientists, historians and
LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender)
activists, we have this year a chance to mark and
celebrate another contribution to Britain's fight
against the darkness of dictatorship: that of
code-breaker Alan Turing.

Turing was a quite brilliant mathematician, most
famous for his work on breaking the German Enigma
codes. It is no exaggeration to say that, without
his outstanding contribution, the history of the
Second World War could have been very different.
He truly was one of those individuals we can
point to whose unique contribution helped to turn
the tide of war. The debt of gratitude he is owed
makes it all the more horrifying, therefore, that
he was treated so inhumanely.

In 1952, he was convicted of "gross indecency" –
in effect, tried for being gay. His sentence –
and he was faced with the miserable choice of
this or prison – was chemical castration by a
series of injections of female hormones. He took
his own life just two years later.

Thousands of people have come together to demand
justice for Alan Turing and recognition of the
appalling way he was treated. While Turing was
dealt with under the law of the time, and we
can't put the clock back, his treatment was of
course utterly unfair, and I am pleased to have
the chance to say how deeply sorry I and we all
are for what happened to him. Alan and the many
thousands of other gay men who were convicted, as
he was convicted, under homophobic laws, were
treated terribly. Over the years, millions more
lived in fear in conviction. I am proud that
those days are gone and that in the past 12 years
this Government has done so much to make life
fairer and more equal for our LGBT community.
This recognition of Alan's status as one of
Britain's most famous victims of homophobia is
another step towards equality, and long overdue.

But even more than that, Alan deserves
recognition for his contribution to humankind.
For those of us born after 1945, into a Europe
which is united, democratic and at peace, it is
hard to imagine that our continent was once the
theatre of mankind's darkest hour. It is
difficult to believe that in living memory,
people could become so consumed by hate – by
anti-Semitism, by homophobia, by xenophobia and
other murderous prejudices – that the gas
chambers and crematoria became a piece of the
European landscape as surely as the galleries and
universities and concert halls which had marked
out the European civilisation for hundreds of
years.

It is thanks to men and women who were totally
committed to fighting fascism, people like Alan
Turing, that the horrors of the Holocaust and of
total war are part of Europe's history and not
Europe's present. So on behalf of the British
government, and all those who live freely thanks
to Alan's work, I am very proud to say: we're
sorry. You deserved so much better.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/6170112/Gordon-Brown-Im-proud-to-say-sorry-to-a-real-war-hero.html

http://tinyurl.com/qbo26z