So, how many U.S. citizens cannot afford health
care insurance? Obama said 46 million, then
changed the figure to 30 million. So, I guess
he's now excluding the illegals. But how many,
really, cannot afford health insurance? 10
million?

That's still a lot, but why are the politicians
lying and inflating the figures? That doesn't
give me much confidence in their plan or their
math. I mean, does anyone seriously think that
the U.S. Government can run 40 additional
agencies and not waste money? Seriously.

Obama said he wouldn't sign a bill that added
'one dime' to the federal deficit. That's about
the same thing as saying that the reform bill
is a failure before it's even signed. Fer sure,
that's like saying that the public option is
dead.

If those that can't afford health insurance are
to be fined $3,800 for not buying the insurance
they are going to be really upset. And if those
who don't want or don't need health care insurance
are going to have to agree to an automatic pay
roll deduction, are going to be really upset. And
those that are already on Medicare are going to
have to change doctors for public option plan are
going to be really upset, then there's going to be
a lot upset people out there casting their vote
in the mid-term elections!

So, let's do the math:

"I agree this is probably a bad choice given
they don't get the 80%, but what if instead they
were instead offered the equivalent in pay, gave
everyone the tax deduction we give employers,
and opened up interstate competition?

Then, like virtually every other kind of
insurance, you could buy it on your own and not
lose it when you change jobs, and insurance
companies could compete for your business..."

Read more:

'Doing the Math on the Uninsured'
Posted by Megan McArdle
Atlantic, September 11, 2009