I would agree re the 17 th amendment. & with such the 10 ademendt lost
strength

In a message dated 9/13/2009 1:44:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
shempmcg...@netscape.net writes:

The 17th  amendment to the constitution transferred the appointment of U.S.
senators  from state legislatures to the people through popular vote.  This
 happened in 1913.

It seems to me that Big Government only started after  that.  And much of
federal spending occurred in areas that many claim is  under state
jurisdiction, such as insurance (e.g. Social Security, Medicare).  Indeed, I
even
heard on one of the TV talk shows this morning that ObamaCare  may even be
unconstitutional for that very reason.

I wonder if there  is a connection.  That is, by transferring the
appointment from a body --  the state legislature -- which would have its own
interests at heart (i.e.,  state jurisdiction) more than anyone or anything
else
that this, more than  anything, caused spending on the federal level to go out
of  control.

Now, this is wholly my idea so if you want to call me nutty  (not the first
time), go ahead.  But if my analysis above is correct then  I am surprised
there is not a movement afoot to repeal the 17th amendment,  particularly
amongst those Americans concerned with out of control spending by  the federal
government.

Also, for those peaceniks who are always  concerned about America going to
war, perhaps without being able to spend at  will and with senators
appointed by states there would be less initiative to  go to war.