--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dixon <mdixon.6...@...>
wrote:

> OOOOH! That's a Bingo!

Nope.  Ms Dowd was right.

- - Wilson is a member of the organization, Sons of Confederate
Veterans, reports Dave Niewert of Crooks and Liars
<http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/obama-heckler-joe-wilson-member\
-neo> , which "as the Southern Poverty Law Center has detailed
assiduously
<http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?pid=1027> , has
been taken over in the past decade by radical neo-Confederates who favor
secession and defend slavery as a benign institution."

Wilson served as an aide to the late segregationist Senator Strom
Thurmond, who is credited with conducting the longest filibuster in
Senate history
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/27/us/strom-thurmond-foe-of-integration-\
dies-at-100.html>  -- against the 1957 civil rights bill.

When Thurmond's bi-racial daughter, fathered out of wedlock with an
African-American teenage girl, came forward in 2003 -- after Thurmond's
death -- Wilson castigated Thurmond's daughter, saying he did not
believe her story. Essie Mae Washington-Williams was conceived of a
union Thurmond had with his family's 16-year-old maid. Thurmond was 22
at the time. "It's a smear on the image that [Thurmond] has as a person
of high integrity who has been so loyal to the people of South
Carolina," Wilson said, according to TPM
<http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/09/you-lie-not-the-first-\
time-rep-wilsons-emotions-got-the-best-of-him.php> .

Wilson later apologized to Washington-Williams.

about him to come to such a conclusion.

> I certainly think he was rude and inappropriate when he called out
"you lie!" But being rude and inappropriate doesn't automatically make
you a racist.

> But projecting racism on to such a situation, in my opinion does. And
that's exactly what the racist New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd did
when she wrote:

> "But, fair or not, what I heard was an unspoken word in the air: You
lie, boy!"

> When people hear "unspoken words" without any other apparent
justification for HEARING those words, one is, I believe, projecting
their own inner values, beliefs and prejudices on to the situation.