Please note that I respond to this as neither
a "Neo-Advaitan," a person in despair, nor a
person particularly bestowed of (or seeking)
"Transcendental Grace."

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5" <dhamiltony...@...> wrote:

> Neo-Advaitin despair, spiritual practice and Transcendental Grace.
>
> From e-mail on the side:
> <paste>
> "I have met a lot of people in the community who have given
> up on the whole notion of self-realization, they don't think
> it's possible, and that, to me, is the 'despair rakshasa'
> showing up and saying, stop your practice.

I don't live in Fairfield, and have had limited
exposure to "Neo-Advaitan" teaching (attending one
talk by Gangaji years ago). So I cannot speak to the
things this person perceives in Fairfield.

But I can speak to that one talk I attended, and my
impressions of it. Because the person who brought me
was a long-time friend of Gangaji's, I got to hang
with her for a while when she was "offstage." My
impression of her was that she was a very nice lady
indeed, and seemingly in a good place, both spirit-
ually and pragmatically. I happened to meet her on
the day that she learned her own teacher (Papaji)
had died, and I have rarely seen such composure in
what could be a trying situation.

That said, I thought her followers sucked. Gangaji
sat there in the talk and told them over and over
and over that she was "doing" nothing to facilitate
or "cause" the periods of awakening that they some-
times experienced around her. And afterwards, all
that these spiritual hangers-on could talk about
was "How powerful her darshan was today." Talk
about having completely missed the point!

I think that this person's problem comes from the
same basic misunderstanding that Gangaji's students
had -- trying to associate the word "grace" with
self-realization.

"Grace" implies that you are being "given a gift"
by someone or something "other." Self-realization
is the realization of the Self, by the Self. There
*is* no "other."

Gangaji's followers were more interested in being
followers than they were realizing their Self, in
my humble opinion. Or they wanted her to "give"
them self realization, enough so that they missed
everything she was saying, and "heard" only what
they wanted to hear.

> But what is that grace comes mysteriously and robs you
> of your despair. It brings you out from your despair
> into the light.

"That grace" has IMO nothing to do with "grace."
That which "robs you of your despair" is the real-
ization of your Self, and the realization that it
cannot ever be affected by puny-ass human concepts
like "despair." Self is eternal, and has been the
basis of your self as long as you have had one.
No one needs to "give" it to you or even "show"
it to you.

Speaking as someone who has had my share of minor
awakenings or realizations, I think that the mind-
state this person is calling "despair" is his own.
He speaks very much like someone who has been seeking
for years or decades and has never had such an awak-
ening or realization. And yes, some of them "give up."
This person has made pursuing a path endlessly and
never arriving into a virtue.

But that has nothing to do with the "giving up on
path" that some -- including some "Neo-Advaitans" --
have expressed. When you *have* such a realization, the
first thing that strikes you is that *it is nothing
new*, it has always already been present. With that
realization "under your belt," where is the urgency
to follow some "path" that promises to take you "there?"

> That's why rakshasas don't like grace.

"Rakshasas" are imaginary. Get over it.

> Grace is a very real, mysterious and powerful thing. It's
> grace that ultimately bestows neutrality or equanimity.
> It has to be bestowed, you can't earn it, you can't work
> for it, it has to come from some other place.

In other words, "Beam me up, Scotty."

Suffice it to say that this does not match my exper-
ience. I would venture to suggest that it does not
match the *writer's* experience, either, and that he
is speaking purely from *theory* -- stuff that has
been told to him.

There is a big difference between "giving up on self
realization" and no longer actively seeking it in the
way that this person believes it is "bestowed." It's
the same difference that exists between talking the
talk of "self realization" and the quiet, simple fact
of realizing the self -- walking the walk. Even if
it's a temporary realization, in my experience that
banishes all silly notions of "path." You may choose
to pursue one after having such a realization just
out of habit, or out of allegiance to a teacher, but
the notion that a "path" is "necessary" becomes silly
the moment you realize that you are already where the
"path" promises to lead, and have always been there.

Giving up on "path" does not mean "giving up on self
realization." It may sometimes merely mean giving up
on the notion of "striving" or "following," or espec-
ially desiring or feeling that you *need* "grace." The
last is a term that IMO has no place in the study of
self realization, and is out of place in that study
as grafting a second nose onto your ass in an attempt
to improve your sense of smell.