> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ShempMcGurk" <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> >
> > An exceprt appeared in the New Yorker a few months ago.
> >
> > I was shocked in reading it.  Why?  Not because it seemed
> > a satire but because it was so "straight" and very, very
> > un-Crumb-like.
>
> Like most people in the world, you don't know
> Robert Crumb at all. He's the straightest arrow
> on Earth...doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't
> do drugs. And the shyest person you've ever met.

The "straight" that I was referring to was absense of reference to sex, body
parts (such as exhaggerated women's behinds and boobs), and racial stereotypes
and racial epithets.

And of course I don't know "Robert", Barry.  He lives in France and I live in
America with the other peons.

> > My immediate impression was that Crumb had become a born-
> > again because the strip so adhered to orthodoxy Christianity.
>
> Didn't you even read the review? The book is the
> text of Genesis -- all of it -- with literally
> every scene illustrated. Never been done before.
>
> What was fascinating to watch is this guy you
> characterize as only a satirist

...well, in addition to pornography of course...and comedy.

> forming around
> him a cadre of religious scholars and historians
> to check his drawings for inaccuracies. And they
> were there -- he had unconsciously drawn in things
> that were anachronisms to the time, or clothing
> that wouldn't have been worn in the times, only
> much later in history. So he went back and changed
> things. This book will be considered his "master-
> work," although I don't think it is. That title
> applies to some of the private-edition erotic
> works. (Don't bother looking for them unless you
> have several thousand dollars to spend.) This
> book will sell for the normal price...he even
> refused to let them sell a "limited-edition"
> private (read expensive) version of it.

Uh, I think you're making my point for me: that this work is quite unusual for
Crumb.

> > So I am surprised by what is written in the article
> > above because if the New Yorker excerpt is representative
> > of the work as a whole, it is neither a satire nor a
> > Crumb-like comic but more like the Classic Comics
> > version of the Bible without any liberties taken.
>
> The difference is that the artists who did Classic
> Comic books 1) weren't very good artists, 2) didn't
> know their history or the periods of time they were
> illustrating (or didn't care) and thus made it all
> up, and 3) didn't have a real feel for the source
> material, and a desire to bring it to life.
>
> Robert's work has been compared favorably to the
> best artists in the world; his drawing style was
> called by one noted art critic "Second to none,
> and I include Breughel and Michaelangelo in that
> statement." Get over Zap Comix, Shemp...Robert
> did decades ago.

I find everything "Robert" did outside of his porno/Zap/satire/etc. stuff quite
boring.  I am referring to his countryside and village etchings (around
France), his old Blues etchings, and now his Bible stuff.

I only like his -- as you put it -- Zap stuff.  I suppose I am an uneducated
Rube, not as urbane and as sophisticated as you Barry, and don't know real
"art".  But I know what I like.