America can learn a lot from Texas

  [BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5392564964576782034]
<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CT4y-UiwdC0/StY9Q6XQ5tI/AAAAAAAABq0/n6bSkVKCk\
Rg/s1600-h/texas_sucks.jpg>    Texas has some of the best mouth watering
barbeque in the country. We have some of the best college football and
education and our high school football program is second to none. But we
have something that all of America can learn from: bad legislation.

Congress is currently debating health care reform and could learn from
the mistakes of the Texas Legislature over the last few years including
insurance reform, tort reform, and deregulation.

Tort Reform.

In 2003 the Republican controlled Texas house ushered in sweeping tort
reform, limiting medical malpractice suits to $250,000. These limits
were supported by the insurance industry, some of the medical community,
and their front groups calling themselves "Texans" and
"Citizens" against lawsuit abuse. As they are doing today with
national health care reform, they promised lower health care costs,
lower insurance rates, and expanded health care availability.

Instead, Texas has the highest rate of uninsured in the nation and our
cost of health care and insurance has skyrocketed out of control. Tort
reform didn't work in Texas. It won't work on the national level
either.

Insurance Reform.

Along with tort reform, the Republican controlled House passed massive
homeowner insurance reform. Texas at the time had the highest rates in
the country and insurance reform was the hottest issue of the 2002
campaign. In the end the Legislature limited oversight of the industry,
allowed the use of optional insurance policies and gave the industry
almost everything they requested. In return homeowners would receive
lower rates due to increased competition.

Unfortunately, like tort reform, the promises never materialized. Rates
in Texas tripled. Coverage was cut and deductibles soared. Texas now has
rates twice as high as the national average with less coverage and
higher deductibles. Again, insurance reform didn't work in Texas.

Electricity and College Tuition Deregulation.

The Republican controlled House also passed electricity and college
tuition deregulation again with promises of lower rates with more
competition.

With Enron and Ken Lay leading the lobbying effort, electricity was
deregulation in most of the State, resulting in higher rates, sometimes
as high as 3 times pre-deregulation.

Tuition costs for State Universities has since doubled and our once
shining example of fiscal responsibility, the Texas Tomorrow Fund
providing a method for families to save for college, was cancelled due
to the skyrocketing cost of college. Electricity and college tuition
deregulation failed.

Learn from our mistakes. Please.

Congress has an incredible resource staring them in the face: the great
State of Texas with its examples of failed legislation. It is clear,
tort reform will not lower health care or insurance rates, the insurance
industry cannot be trusted, and deregulation will not lower rates or
create competition as promised.

Texas has mosquitoes large enough for an afternoon snack, pumpkins the
size of a small car, and we also have enough bad legislative experiences
to last a lifetime, or a debate on national health care reform.

For the sake of all Americans learn from our mistakes.

http://bayareahouston.blogspot.com/2009/10/america-can-learn-lot-from-te\
xas.html

See also:   Texas ranks 46th in Health Care

http://snipurl.com/senca   [www_dallasnews_com]