--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo"
> <richardhughes103@> wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "yifuxero"
> <yifuxero@> wrote:
>
> > > http://www.thebigview.com/spacetime/questions.html
> > >

> > "Physics does not concern itself with issues outside
> its own domain. For example, the subjects of biology,
> life, and chemistry, as well as the phenomena of mind
> and consciousness cannot be explained in physical terms"
> >
> > Biology, chemistry and therefore life can, indeed
> > are, explained in physical terms.
>
> Is that so? I'm not sure that's the case is it? How
> DOES the inanimate become "life"?

Good question.

Chemistry explains the functioning of DNA, which
is the interface between the organic and the
inorganic, looked at one way it's life the other
it's chemistry and how it works is becoming very
well understood. But not perfectly as you point
out.

Ribosomes, the bits of cells that transcribe the
genetic code into other molecules, have recently
been found to be self-assembling.  Which is pretty
amazing, a major piece of the jigsaw. It isn't
finished yet but the picture can be discerned.
Finding out that the bits that make DNA actually
make themselves is good progress. And in Darwins
centenary year too!

Pretty cool to go from bacteria to animals capable
of discussing themselves in only a billion years.
Mind you it was something like a massive global deep-
freeze three billion years ago that forced the change
from bacteria into multi-celled life. Otherwise we
might be still floating around in the primordial sea
not thinking about anything at all.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2009/January/09010901.asp