On Nov 9, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Bhairitu wrote:

Vaj wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
>
>> Vaj wrote:
>> > Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:
>> >
>> > http://www.box.net/shared/static/eycqy25sh2.jpg
>> >
>> > SBP is "Systolic Blood Pressure".
>> >

>> Depends on the mantra used doesn't it? Some will be stimulating and
>> actually raise the blood pressure while others lower it.
>

> Possibly, anyone predisposed to high pitta could get "overheated" and
> mantra-yoga could raise their BP. But in general TM mantras seem
> lightly "cooling" (i.e. "pitta pacifying") for most. SO you get some
> slight, very minimal benefit is some people when poor controls ar eused.

I bet the studies don't discriminate between which TM mantras used and
whether they were first or advanced techniques. That would also make a
difference. Many TM mantras are considered "agni" mantras and therefore
are stimulating. It is unusual to give the general public "agni"
mantras because they have a stimulating effects. Remember that TM
claims to "increase energy."

That certainly would explain why TM performs so poorly on lowering BP compared to all other meditation forms.

TMers also have long been observed to "store" hot energy in the head or chest: the wrong place to store it. It certainly isn't helpful for overall health. But then TMers are not taught how to yogicly handle the energy their meditation creates at all.