This one gets sent around the community too on the subject of spiritism
affliction.  Seems more directly the transcendental perspective.

<paste>

Of  Negative Energy, in Method
Un-edited without attribution or permission
-anonymous

Love is a form of insight. If someone says something to you and they have some
observation about you, you can watch yourself thinking, I don't know whether I
want to take that in. If the person doesn't do it perfectly, if they don't say
it exactly the way your mind wants to hear it, you just reject it. You can't
pull the kernel of truth out of a stone. The purpose of insight meditation is
to get that kernel of truth to come out of the stone, and to particularly get
it out of people who have no skillful means, that is, they're abrupt and they
don't know how to do it nicely, they're not poised, they don't have good
delivery. The purpose of insight meditation is to see the truth coming from
people who you perceive as enemies or that are ruthless in some way. The
purpose of insight meditation is to turn your enemies into friends. It means
that you have to have insight into how their enmity can be friendly to you.
They can teach you about yourself.

The result of that, ideally, is that you don't insulate yourself and always
surround yourself with supporters. You are courageous enough to be in the
presence of people who are not of skillful means, doing the right thing at the
right moment, and you're able to pull truth even out of that stone. That makes
it possible to pull love out of anything, out of a dead branch. That is the
nature of insight meditation. There are a lot of situations in life in which
love is not so easily seen.

There are people who, for whatever reason, make themselves into your enemy, who
throw stuff at you that is really hurtful, and not even stuff that's
unconscious but rakshasic, demonic stuff. Those rakshasas, those demons, those
bad guys are there to help you practice. That's their job, that's what they do.
The way they help you practice is that you see them for what they are. You
realize that if there's negative energy coming your way from another person
which is not allowing you to experience the field of love between you and them,
it is not only them doing that but there is an entity doing that, a negative
force that is blocking the love. It doesn't want the love to be there, it's
invested in that, it's employed by the devil, if you want to call it that, the
dark side, the shadow. When you recognize that something is getting in the way
between you loving another person, it is one of those or a cluster or aggregate
of those.

In both the Hindu and the Buddhist tradition the idea is to shoot them in the
foot, to cut through, to completely annihilate their power, to debilitate them,
to get them out of your life. How do you get rid of those demonic beings that
are breaking up the love, that are destroying the love between you and your
family, your relations, your lover? This is another important point about
insight meditation. It teaches you that they exist, that it's not your
imagination, and what to do with them. What do you do with them? When you see
that another person is emanating a powerful negative energy and they may not
even know it, then you have a job to do. As a spiritual person you're on call.
Your job is to shoot this thing, get rid of it, take it out, annihilate it,
blast it, explode it. How do you do that? When you have an enemy of this
rakshasic nature, which it isn't always, sometimes it's at a personality
structure level, but if it is, if that's what's coming at you, you have to get
rid of it. If its job is to create fear, it will generate more fear. If its job
is to create anger, it will generate more anger. That's what rakshasas do.
That's their job. According to a lot of scriptures, they don't have a choice,
they're slaves, essentially, of the dark side, they are made to do that, they
don't have free will. Basically they are there to fight you into sadness, into
fear, into anger, into jealousy, but ultimately they are there to cause you to
break from practice. They're sadhana breakers. They're there to stop you from
practicing, from doing what you know is the best thing for your evolution.
How do you stop them from stopping you? From a transcendent point of view, the
way that you stop rakshasas is that you get deeper into the transcendent that
they are sourced from. If they're here and they have a pipeline into the
transcendent and it's this far down and that's where they're getting their
rakshasa juice from, you go down lower. You have to go underneath them to get
at them. It's like what Maharishi said, you can't solve a problem on the level
of the problem. You have to go underneath where they're sourced. However, their
job is to keep you from doing that. They don't want you to get underneath them
because they know that when you do that their jig is up. They will do
everything they can to stop you from getting far enough down to get at their
root. You have to use your special transcendent magic potion to get underneath
them.

That special transcendent magic potion can only be magic if you have mastery of
the transcendent itself. You can't kill rakshasas by completely spontaneous
transcendence. They know better than that. You can only kill rakshasas through
concentrative transcendence. This flies in the face of what we know as a
non-concentrative practice. It makes sense because concentrative transcendence
means that you can endure the transcendent, you can hold to it, you can cleave
to it, you can maintain it, consciously, not spontaneously. This is the next
step, in my opinion, in the transcendent process. The next step is to increase
the concentrative dhyan value, which comes from the level of the mind. You have
to be able to corral the transcendent and hold yourself there. You cannot allow
escape. Usually when we practice TM we're always allowing escape. As you go
down and you come back out we're taught to just let it be natural. That's good,
but that's why Karunamai said it's baby meditation. At a certain point in the
process you are asked to have mastery of the transcendent, which means you have
to learn how to stay put in the transcendent. It's not a forced staying put,
it's an observing staying put. You're in the transcendent and you observe
yourself coming out of it and you fall back into it, a million times over, and
then that's what keeps you held in the transcendent.

If you can't do that, you can't get down to the level that goes underneath
rakshasa land. Rakshasas are excellent at holding their attention. They've been
well trained from the other side. Ravana and all the demons did practice. If
you're going to get down there and root them out you've got to be able to stay
put in the transcendent, and that means holding your attention there. When
you're down there and holding your attention there, you are asked to have
insight into what would pull you out. That means you've got to go back to the
insight level. I want to pull out because I'm scared, I want to pull out
because I'm angry, I want to pull out because I'm hungry, I want to pull out
because I just don't want to be in the transcendent, whatever the reason is.
You've got to go deeply into the knowledge of why you want to get out and stay
there whether you want to or you don't.

This sadhana is essential to healing. Transcendental healing requires that
sadhana be performed. You cannot do it any other way that I've ever seen. What
strengthens the power, whether it's self-healing or you're going to do it for
others, is that you can get down into the transcendent, you can hang out there,
you can call on different levels of the transcendent, you can stay put, you can
go up, you can go down, and you can stay at a level and hold that. When you can
do that successfully you're also gaining insight into yourself. You're seeing
what it is that you're holding to and then you can see what the rakshasas are
doing, what it wants from you, what its agenda is, what it was sent to do.

Then you can kill it. It's the only way you can kill it. I don't believe you
can just get rid of them by sending love. I know that's a popular belief, but
that's not it. You have to kill them. This is not about love, this is about
killing. Love is nice, it has its place, but now we're not talking love, we're
talking war. If you're really in a battle with one it will not go away with
love. Love will not kill them, love will just keep them going. You have to kill
them. That's why there are wars. There have been wars for thousands of years
and there will probably be wars for thousands of more years. There are wars in
other galaxies, there are wars in other dimensions, there are wars in other
universes. If there were no need for war there would be no war. It's taken me a
long time to accept this because I did not believe that you had to kill them,
but you cannot kill them with love because they do not live on love. If they
get dissolved a little bit with love temporarily, they'll come right back.
They'll go invisible, underground. You can't root them out that way. This is
Kali, this is war, this is serious business. That's why Kali is there. The
whole Chandi Path is about killing demons. When I first heard it I thought it
was weird and I didn't like it. Why was she chopping everybody's heads off?
Then I finally got it. When you get into the war zone with rakshasas there is
only one way to get rid of them and that is they have to be killed.

How do you kill them? First you have to understand that they exist. That sounds
so obvious but for me it wasn't. I grew up in the 60s with the utopian
universal light thing and I didn't believe that evil existed. Well, I was
wrong. The first thing you have to do is admit that they exist and that's a big
thing to admit, that there is evil. There is a force of evil, not just that
people do malicious things. There is a force of evil and it wants to do evil
things. That's the first thing you've got to get. There's a force of love and
there's a force of evil. You have to admit that.

Then you have to understand that in order to kill rakshasas there are mechanics
involved. As a human spiritual warrior your job is to figure out what those
mechanics are. They will reveal themselves to you when you ask for them. You
have to have a desire to be a spiritual warrior. Something in you has to well
up and say I want this sadhana. This is where love comes in. The desire to kill
evil comes from love. When you see evil, when you see that rakshasic influence
in a loved one or in a situation or a global situation, the desire to change
that comes from love. Love informs that desire, it makes it real. It's like a
mother with a child, you're protecting your friend or your parent or your
situation. The protective mechanism of love informs the desire to kill the
demon.

Evil is very insidious. It's not necessarily overt. Evil is often disguised in
cordiality and friendship. You have to be able to discern where evil is. Once
you see that evil is, it's love, it's true compassion that causes you to be
able to kill something. You have to have that love behind it, love gives you
the desire to kill it, but it isn't love that kills it. The killing has to come
from a deep-seated realization that killing is okay. As a girl, this is not
easy. When you're a little boy you get that conditioning. You go out with your
BB gun and shoot at a rabbit and you get off on the rabbit being dead. When
you're a little girl you're told don't do things like that. I used to collect
tadpoles and if one of them would die I would be crying like I'd lost Lassie.
As a girl, getting this is very challenging because of our conditioning.

But whether you're a girl or a boy, getting in there to deal with rakshasas is
not easy. To get in there deep enough all the things we've been talking about
have to come into play. You have to have the discipline of being able to hold
the transcendent, you have to have the depth of insight to see how the rakshasa
is feeding your fears, judgments, anger, sadness. You have to recognize how
it's using you. Then and only then, when those two things are in play, the
power of the transcendent and the power of insight, and then the will to kill,
you have to be willing to chop its head off.

You have to be willing to stop it and the only way you can be willing to stop
it is you have to want to be alive. We were talking earlier about suicidal
tendencies. Rakshasas feed on that force, the part of us that is not
self-loving, that is self-effacing, that wants to kill itself. That's their
ultimate food. They all feed off of the part of you that wants to die. In order
to stop them you have to be willing to see that in yourself and to ferret out
the feeling of wanting to die, and you have to ferret out the feeling of being
afraid to die. Ask anyone who's been in a physical battle, like Iraq, how they
can do this thing and they will tell you that you cannot be in there and be
afraid of dying. I met this woman who was a 9/11 MP worker at a meeting on Long
Island right after 9/11. She was one of the ones who rushed back into the
building when the building was falling down. I asked her, how did you get the
courage to go back into the building? Everyone was running away and there was
all this smoke and gas and ash. How did you get the courage to go back into
that building? She said, it's simple, love. But it wasn't love that saved the
people's lives. What you have to be willing to do in that moment is you have to
be willing to die, you have to be willing to face your own physical death. It
may be painful, it may be ugly, but you have to come to terms with that. By
coming to terms with that and by dealing with all the suicidal junk that wraps
itself around that, that's what gives you the power to go in and face that
level of challenge.
Ultimately, that's the power that Native Americans call facing the black
creature. These rakshasas are made out of some kind of negative dark light.
There is dark light in the universe that's positive, but this is negative.
That's why they're always portrayed that way. When you go in there and you are
willing to face your own death and face your own willingness to kill yourself
by your own negativity, and you have that concentrative transcendent power and
the insight about your own personal stuff, you've got a lot power. That's what
all the Harry Potter movies are about. He has to face his fear to do all that
stuff. When you come in from that angle, these rakshasas are scared. They do
not like warriors, they do not like light, they do not like the transcendent,
they do not like insight, they do not like people that are coming after them.
They get scared, they get frightened, they get worried that they're going to
lose their job. You can feel their fear, you can feel the anxiety of the
rakshasas. When you start feeling that you know you're in good shape. Sometimes
they will decide to go back home. They decide it's too big of a battle, it's
too much work, and they will just vanish, but a lot of times, if they're very
skillful, they're interested in having a good fight. That's why I said you have
to be willing to kill them. You have no other choice at a certain point. You
have to be willing to say, I'm going to chop your head off, get ready, and I'm
going to like it.
That's not easy for me. That's not a girl thing. Maybe some girls grew up that
way, like in Harlem, and they got it loud and clear. But I don't find that
stance easy to get to. I always want it to be done some other way. You've got
to get to a point where you're allowing that to happen to you and you've got to
hold to the sadhana which makes it possible, the transcendent, the insight, the
will, the suicide thing. You've got to bring that all together, but finally you
have to bring the killer instinct. That is the part I have the most trouble
with personally because I don't like to go there. But I haven't seen any other
way than allowing that to happen. I think it's different for men because I
think the killer instinct is more active and easier to get at. That's not true
for everyone because we all have different versions of male and female and it
doesn't depend on what gender you are.

Ultimately you have to get down to that place where you feel good about it and
realize that you are not the doer of the killing. It's coming through you and
what's coming is this pure motivation towards protective love that causes you
to be able to do it. The transcendent and the insight together create a
particular kind of light, the light of truth, and that light of truth is what
kills the demons. They can't withstand the force of that. But to get to the
truth you have to do a lot of self-examination and a lot of looking at things
that are challenging to look at.

<end paste>