Von: The David Lynch Foundation
Betreff: December Newsletter - Spread the Joy of Meditation
An: vedamer...@yahoo.de
Datum: Dienstag, 1. Dezember 2009, 23:46

>From the DOE Foundation in New York, which empowers formerly homeless and
>incarcerated men to be contributing members of society: Entrepreneur Russell
>Simmons and two participants in the DOE Fund’s “Ready, Willing and Able”
>program talk about the value of the TM technique (2 minutes, 15 seconds)
WATCH THE VIDEO
>From the International Conference for Building Healthy Sustainable American
>Indian Communities: Three Native American leaders talk about the benefits of
>the TM program for diabetes and health (2 minutes)
WATCH THE VIDEO

Dr. George Rutherford, one of the most distinguished and beloved principals in
the Washington, D.C. area, is credited as being the “Grandfather” of the
TM/Quiet Time program in America. In 1993, Doc Rutherford introduced the
program to his Fletcher Johnson Learning School in Washington and later
expanded it to include the entire school—a first in U.S. education. He also
serves as the National Co-Director of the U.S. Committee for Stress-Free
Schools.
How did you get started with the TM program?
In 1993, teachers of the Transcendental Meditation program came to the Fletcher
Johnson Learning School to give a presentation. I was standing at the back of
the room joking with one of the teachers, saying, “I want to get the training.”
She knew I was joking but she called my bluff and made an appointment for me. I
was scared to death, but I learned the TM technique and loved it! Then I
visited Maharishi School of The Age of Enlightenment in Iowa. When I saw how
those children were happy and enjoying school I was inspired to give this to my
students. I thought this program could really make a difference in their lives
and in this community.
How did you introduce this program
to the Ideal Academy Public Charter School?
Paulette Bell, the founder of the school, wrote a proposal for a stress
management program and the Board of Education signed off on it. We didn’t have
any money, but donors came forward and helped get my children where we are now.
We shaved off 5 minutes from each class to make time for the children’s
TM/Quiet Time program in the morning and afternoon. We knew that once we got
rid of the stress, we would have less disruptions and the time would pay off.
Now we are seeing the light. Quiet Time changed the whole climate of the
school. It was just beautiful.
What have been the greatest benefits for the school?
All the students from 5th grade through 12th grade practice the TM/Quiet Time
program. In the morning for those 15 minutes before class the whole school is
quiet and the calm is carried throughout the day.
The greatest benefit is relieving the stress. We know that some of the kids
would be more hyper without their meditation. Some of our kids have ADHD. A lot
of kids are special needs kids. I always say a lot of kids are special needs
who don’t have the papers on them. They have not been identified. With Quiet
Time the academic achievement has gone up, and behavioral problems and
absenteeism have gone down. I could never work in a school that doesn’t have
the TM/Quiet Time program.

What is your vision for schools in America?
I would love to see that all students are able to learn in a stress-free
environment. You can rest assured that in years to come the transformation in
education will take place in schools with the TM/Quiet Time program. People are
going to see that the Quiet Time program removes stress and everything else
falls right in place. With Quiet Time, the potential of every student is
unlimited.
Forward this email to your friends about the Gift Card Program

© 2009 DAVID LYNCH FOUNDATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

This message was sent from The David Lynch Foundation to vedamer...@yahoo.de.
It was sent from: David Lynch Foundation TV, 1000 N. 4th Street, Fairfield, IA
52557. You can modify/update your subscription via the link below.

Email Marketing by

 To be removed click here