Can Obama Face  the 'Unspeakable'?

By                    Lisa Pease
December 14, 2009

If there's one book I  wish President Obama would read over the
holidays, it is JFK and the  Unspeakable.

Obama, like President John F. Kennedy, has had his first encounters with
the permanent warfare establishment, and so far, has been persuaded by
their arguments. This book could open his eyes – and ours – to
the possibility of another path.

In this eloquent,  remarkable book
<http://www.amazon.com/JFK-Unspeakable-Why-Died-Matters/dp/1570757550/re\
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260798760&sr=1-1> , longtime peace
activist and theologian Jim Douglass uses Thomas Merton, a prominent
Catholic monk, to elevate the study of Kennedy's presidency to a
spiritual as well as physical battle with the warmongers of his time.

In 1962, as Douglass  records in his preface, Merton wrote a friend the
following eerily prescient  analysis:

"I have little confidence in Kennedy. I think he cannot fully
measure up to the magnitude of his task, and lacks creative imagination
and the deeper kind of sensitivity that is needed. Too much the Time and
Life mentality ….

"What is needed is really not shrewdness or craft, but what the
politicians don't have: depth, humanity and a certain totality of
self-forgetfulness and compassion, not just for individuals but for man
as a whole: a deeper kind of dedication. Maybe Kennedy will break
through into that someday by miracle. But such people are before long
marked out for assassination."

Merton coined the term "the Unspeakable" to describe the forces
of evil that seemed to defy description, that took from the planet first
Kennedy, then Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy, and
which tragically escalated the war in Vietnam.

Merton warned that "Those who are at present too eager to be
reconciled with the world at any price must take care not to be
reconciled with it under this particular aspect: as the nest of the
Unspeakable. This is what too few are willing to see."

The Unspeakable represents not only willful evil but the void of an
agenda for good, an amorality that, like a black hole, destroys all that
would escape from it.

Douglass defines the Cold War version of the Unspeakable as "the
void in our government's covert-action doctrine of `plausible
deniability,'" that sanctioned assassinations and coups to protect
American business interests in the name of defeating communism.

Douglass traces Kennedy's confrontation with the Unspeakable and his
efforts to escape that trajectory. Kennedy came to understand that peace
through war would never bring us true peace, but only a "Pax
Americana," which would foster resentment among the conquered,
sowing the seeds of future conflicts, a fear that has proven true over
and over in the years following his death.

Mea Culpa

Douglass opens with a sort of mea culpa, noting that by failing to see
the connection between Kennedy's assassination and his own personal
fight against nuclear weapons, he "contributed to a national climate
of denial."

Douglass explains that the cover-ups of the assassinations of the
Sixties was enabled in large part by denial, and not just by the
government, but by those of us who never clamored for the truth about
what happened.

Douglass reminds us that "The Unspeakable is not far away. It is not
somewhere out there, identical with a government that has become foreign
to us. The emptiness of the void, the vacuum of responsibility and
compassion, is in ourselves. Our citizen denial provides the ground for
the government's doctrine of `plausible deniability.'"

Douglass quotes Gandhi  on the principle of satyagraha, how truth is the
most powerful force on earth, and how, as Gandhi said, "truth is
God." If you want to see God, you must first be able to look truth
in the face.

Douglass frames Kennedy's assassination as rooted in our Cold War
past. Our collective failure to demand accountability for the crimes
done in our name came back to haunt us in the most visceral of ways on
Nov. 22, 1963, when the President was shot dead in the street in front
of us.

With astonishing moral clarity and elegant prose, Douglass lays out
Kennedy's multiple battles with the military, industrial and
intelligence establishments, which are not really separate entities, but
deeply interdependent on each other.

The well-documented (and footnoted and indexed) book opens with a
succinct chronology of major events during Kennedy's administration.
Seeing all the events laid out simply, end-to-end, makes the book's
conclusions all the more powerful.

The answer to the question implied in the book's subtitle of
"Why he was killed and why it matters" seems self-evident when
you strip away all the false history and distractions that have been
injected into the record to muddy the waters and look simply, finally,
at what happened.

Douglass takes us back to what may well be the source of John
Kennedy's courage – the sinking of his PT boat and his
heartbreakingly difficult but ultimately successful efforts to rescue
his comrades. Kennedy faced his own death several times during that
first long night, and told his fellow crewmembers when he got back to
shore that he'd never prayed so much in his life.

Even after he was safe, Kennedy plunged back into the ocean a second
time in an attempt to signal another boat. Kennedy's utter
selflessness was not some liberal fantasy; it was an actuality, for his
PT crew.

JFK's Suffering

As Robert Kennedy wrote later, at least half of John Kennedy's life
he suffered some form of pain. He had scarlet fever as a child, and
suffered from back trouble most of his life. He was beset with
illnesses, often at the most inconvenient times.

But he never complained, and few realized what he dealt with. Perhaps
these experiences shaped John Kennedy's own sense of compassion for
others.
And perhaps these experiences, in which death seemed always nearby, gave
him the courage to do what few others would attempt, as the Cold War
nearly exploded into a hot one during the Cuban missile crisis.

Kennedy's first confrontation with the Unspeakable came during his
first 100 days in office with the Bay of Pigs operation he inherited as
a going concern from the Eisenhower Administration. The CIA convinced
Kennedy that the operation would be successful, and that no American
troops would be needed (Kennedy's prerequisite for launching the
operation).

The Cuban exiles were trained and ready and well supplied, he was told.
Kennedy approved the plan, and the plan was a disaster.

In the Bay of Pigs account, Douglass referenced something I had never
read before – coffee-stained notes from Allen Dulles leftover from
an unpublished draft of an article, discovered by Lucien S.
Vandenbroucke. In the notes, Dulles acknowledges the plan had no chance
of success, but that he and others in the CIA drew Kennedy into the plan
on the assumption that when it failed, Kennedy would send in the
military to finish the job.

Dulles and the CIA had vastly underestimated Kennedy's capacity to
absorb defeat rather than to escalate a situation.

Douglass also cites an NPR report by Daniel Schorr to support this
notion. Schorr attended a special conference on the Bay of Pigs in 2001,
and reported on NPR additional details supporting this thesis,
concluding that, "In effect, President Kennedy was the target of a
CIA covert operation that collapsed when the invasion collapsed."

The CIA even had a plan to circumvent Kennedy if Kennedy had not agreed
to the Bay of Pigs invasion. Under the plan, Kennedy would be maneuvered
into rubber-stamping it through the careful stage-managing of his
ignorance.

But the one thing the CIA could not do was order the military's
direct intervention. For that, they needed the President. And that is
where Kennedy won his first battle with the Unspeakable. He refused to
choose more death and destruction over defeat.

Kennedy would demonstrate this capacity two more times – during the
Cuban Missile Crisis, and in his refusal to escalate troop levels in
Vietnam.

Backchannels

Douglass outlines in perhaps the greatest detail yet the various
backchannels President Kennedy used to open avenues of communication
with both the Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev and Cuban leader Fidel
Castro.

Castro was more distrustful of Kennedy than Khrushchev was at first, but
Khrushchev told Castro that Kennedy could be trusted.

Indeed, Castro became so enamored of Kennedy that he was visibly
distressed at the news of Kennedy's assassination. He felt they had
just started to make progress, and was concerned about his successor,
Lyndon B. Johnson, and queried a contact about Johnson's
relationship with the CIA. (Castro knew how the system worked perhaps
even more acutely than Kennedy did, having been at the receiving end of
its actions for so long.)

Douglass is not uncritical of Kennedy, and points out his notable
failing for even half-heartedly supporting the coup that led to the
assassination of Diem in Vietnam.

But Douglass adroitly sidesteps sideshow issues that make up too much of
the Kennedy literature of late, and focuses on Kennedy's most
important policy decisions, and how they show Kennedy's changing and
continually evolving mindset.

It was that evolution that threatened the ruling class who perhaps had
assumed at first that they had elected one of their own to the White
House. Kennedy was, after all, rich and privileged, and with that
combination usually came the typically pro-business-above-all-else
mindset.

But Kennedy was not one of them, as Douglass makes clear through the
context of Kennedy's actions in office. He was operating with a more
spiritual understanding of our place in the world. And Merton proved
right. That evolution put a target on his back.

Douglass's book is a wondrous mixture of biography, history and
conspiracy realities. Douglass seamlessly mixes new information about
long acknowledged events with well-documented discoveries about the
CIA's covert relationship with Lee Harvey Oswald in a narrative that
is tragic, compelling, and works on the reader with a quiet moral force,
relentlessly asking us to face the truth about these events.

We, too, face the Unspeakable, each and every day. What can we do
better? Douglass quotes Gandhi saying "truth is God," and
suggests that only by confronting the truth about our past can we be
liberated from the Unspeakable.

The only fault I would find with the book, and it's a really small
one, is some reliance near the end on a couple of first-person accounts
for which there are no additional corroborating records. The events may
be true accounts, and if they were true, it makes sense there would be
no corroborating records.

But the author provides no caveat, and given how well-documented the
rest of the book is, those episodes stick out for their thinness. Still,
these events are not central to the book's thesis, and if proven
false, they in no way detract from the rest of the nourishing narrative.

As someone who has researched the Kennedy assassination for over 17
years, and who has read many books on the case, I can finally say, for
the first time, this is the single best book ever written on why Kennedy
was killed, who did it, and why it still matters.

It's only fair to note that Douglass quoted from my own writings on
the subject liberally. But before you assume that affected my
objectivity, so have many others whose books I could not in good
conscience recommend. Douglass maintains an unerring focus on the truth
of what happened that is all too rare in books on the assassination.

If you're only going to read one book on President Kennedy's
assassination, let Douglass, like Charon, ferry you through that murky
realm. If enough people read and talk about this book honestly, a sea
change in our foreign policy will become not just possible, but
inevitable.

The truth really could  still set us free, if we are brave enough to
confront it.
Lisa Pease is a historian and writer who specializes in the mysteries of
the John F. Kennedy era.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2009/121409a.html