--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@> wrote:
>
> > St. Thomas Aquinas was able to levitate as well, although this is not
> > generally known to people within or without the Christian church.
> >

> I was watching an interesting program about the art
> of Spain recently (there was a wonderful depiction of
> Cordoba and what seemed to be it's idyllic and tolerant
> society in the Muslim early years).
>
> In the course of the programme Andrew Graham-Dixon
> visited the monastery of the "levitating nun" MarĂ­a
> de Agreda.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3%ADa_de_Agreda
>
> A devout practitioner of quiet prayer, she was
> known to experience religious ecstasy after receiving
> the sacraments...
>
> ...even as a young girl she was filled with divine
> knowledge
>
> ...Throughout her life, Maria de Agreda was inclined to
> the "internal prayer" or "quiet prayer" for which the
> Franciscans are noted. Like her countrywoman St. Teresa
> of Avila, these prayerful experiences inevitably led to
> her ecstasies, including witnessed accounts of levitation
>
> It would be interesting to know more about her "quiet
> prayer"!
>
> (The programme "The Art Of Spain" was very good I thought.
> But I don't think it's available now on the BBC iPlayer).

She was an interesting lady, no doubt.  I've never heard of her before.  We
wonder why there appear to be many saints from Spain.  Was it the culture at
the time that brought it about?  Or, was it the Spanish language itself that
caused it?  Maybe the Castillian pronunciation has a special sound quality for
levitation..."pero solo conseguin hacerme recordar los tuyos..."(guess where
this line comes from!)