> Any idea why the Tibetans would have been into
> long journeys like that?  Some flavors of monks
> do so in hope of finding new opportunities to
> proselytize, but I shouldn't think that would be
> the motivation of Tibetan monks, or would it?

I don't know; if memory serves, the internet articles outlined some
specific political stresses creating this particular Tibetan refugee
stream (circa 500-700 CE maybe?), but I do not recall much more than
that. Presumably this would be quite some time after the Bering land-
strait had disappeared.

> All very thought-provoking, Rory; thanks again.

My pleasure, Judy! If you're interested in this sort of thing, I
strongly recommend "America BC," "Bronze-Age America," and "Saga
America" by Barry Fell, as well as "Sailing to Paradise" by Jim
Bailey (lots of mineralogical data on the prehistoric global sailing
culture), "Hamlet's Mill" by de Santillana and Von Dechen (abundant
material on the precession of the equinoxes, myth, astronomy and
prehistoric global science).