--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <dhamiltony...@...> wrote:

> > Just as a comment, if this story is true it lends
> > some credence to the theory that it might have been
> > Tony's idea to hide his wife, and that the person
> > he was trying to hide her *from* was Maharishi, not
> > the rest of the TM movement. If this is what a
> > jealous Maharishi does when one of "his boys" hooks
> > up with a woman, I'd hide my girlfriend from him,
> > too.
>
> Yup,
> En lieu of official Transcendental Meditation  movement Global
> Chat about this and with knowing the culture,
> this does seem a leading rational explanation for
> why Tony did it and how it all got so far.
>
> To the point of someone got someone over a barrel of gold.
> A very human story underneath.

My feeling exactly.

As Curtis was the first to point out, it's the
"WTF Quotient" of this story that makes it so
fascinating. WHY OH WHY would *either* Tony
or Maharishi choose to hide a legitimate mar-
riage from not only the riffraff of the TM
movement, but from its supposed illuminati?

It makes no sense, no matter how you configure
it. WHETHER it was Maharishi's idea or Tony's
idea to hide his marriage from the TM movement
as a whole, there is almost no "up side" to
this, long-term. The news *has* to eventually
come out, and when it does, the credibility of
*both* of them goes right in the crapper.

But with the advent of this story passed along
by alex from the Netherlands, a very human and,
in my opinion almost *understandable* theory
can begin to form, one that is slightly less
WTF, at least on one side.

IF Maharishi had a proven history of reacting
jealously and vengefully against women who
dared to romance any of "his boys," and you
*are* one of "his boys" and KNOW of this
proven history, it *almost* makes sense to
hide your girlfriend or wife from him. What
still has a rather high "WTF Quotient" is
that in this scenario the person you are
hiding her FROM is Maharishi himself,
fearing *his* wrath against someone you love.

Sadly...and I *am* more than aware of how
sad this theory is...this theory makes sense
to me. It makes sense based on the way I've
seen Maharishi treat "his boys," based on the
way I've seen him treat people who "lost his
favor," and based on the way I've seen him
treat women in general.

So my current *purely speculative* theories
on all of this are 1) that it might have been
possible that Tony Nader initially kept his
girlfriend/eventual wife hidden from Maharishi
and then told him later, when he felt that it
was finally "safe" for his wife to do so, or
2) he never told Maharishi at all. *As possi-
bilities*, I consider both equally possible.

The original theory as proposed by Bevan and
Hagelin -- 3) that Maharishi was in on the
deception from the beginning and supported or
proposed it -- is still possible, of course,
but seems less likely to me because it doesn't
make sense on *any* level. Theories 1 and 2
at least make sense on a human level.