--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli" <irmeli.matts...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> I remember how I long ago on weekend retreats
> expressed my insights aloud that were very
> similar to what I had heard MMY saying. That
> was not appreciated by the TM-teacher, who
> straightened me out by the correct expression
> by MMY. I learned very soon to keep my mouth
> shut as it is not to my nature to parrot anyone.

FWIW, this was most definitely not my experience.

Personal insights, in one's own words, were always
welcomed by the TM teachers I had. MMY's words
were often cited, but never in the context of
putting down a personal insight.

Occasionally a personal insight would not be in
accord with MMY's teaching, but in those cases
the differences were explained tactfully (and
conceptually, rather than with regard to the use
of specific terms). There was no insistence on
"parroting" by the students, and the teachers
would freely use their own expressions to
elucidate concepts.

Maybe I was just very lucky that these were the
kind of teachers I encountered.

I'm probably going to get slammed for suggesting
this, but I'm wondering whether U.S. teachers had
more of a sense of freedom in discussing MMY's
teaching than European teachers.