TurquoiseB wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:
>
>> WillyTex wrote:
>>
>>> Bhairitu:

>>> So, which respondent on FFL seems to watch the most
>>> movies and TV shows? Barry1 or Barry2?
>>>
>> What difference does that make?  We both work at computers
>> all day so probably don't want to read a book at the end of
>> the day since that would be more close eye stuff. Looking
>> at a screen across the room is more relaxing.
>>

> I don't know about you and your "work environment,"
> dude, but during my "workday" I'm a sofa-naut. I have
> a fully-functional and fully-outfitted office around
> the corner in another room, but my "workplace of choice"
> these days is my very comfortable sofa, surrounded by
> two dogs, three computers, and one large-screen TV,
> all of which are networked, and all of which can be
> and are used for business.
>
> That said, and *completely* understanding the not-
> wanting-to-focus-on-a-book-after-a-day-spent-focusing-
> on-screens thang, I still read. I try to set aside a
> period of time each day to read a real book. My current
> book is still Christopher Moore's "Fool," which I am
> prolonging because I so love Chris' command of the
> English language.
>
> The *above* said, I agree with you to some extent because
> I think cinematic media are more immediate and "connect-
> worthy" and tend to speak to deeper aspects of our selves
> than print media do. I would tend to look for inspiration
> sooner in a film or a TV episode these days than I would
> in a book. *That* said, the two are not mutually exclusive.
> Whenever I am writing something creative and feel the need
> for inspiration or a "jumpstart," I reach as often for a
> DVD of a Joss Whedon TV show as I do for my ever-inspira-
> tional volumes of Dorothy Dunnett or Shakespeare.
>
> Excellence is where you find it.

You write and I program.  One of the reasons I got a new laptop several
years ago was so I could do creative writing from the comfort of my easy
chair in the living room with all my networked home theater stuff.
Interesting thing is over the years I've met a number of people in other
paths who found themselves watching a lot of TV and concerned about it.
But there was just nothing else they wanted to do.  They seemed to have
ample social life and still read plenty but enjoyed watching TV.  But
what they watched might be another issue.  It might have been movies, it
might have been a lot of PBS for all I know or they had satellite and
were watching the new age channel.  My tantra teacher watches a lot of
TV too mainly from the Indian cable channels but some western TV
("Supernatural" is a favorite of his).

But wouldn't we like to know what Willy does with his spare time..... or
maybe not. :-D