The sad problem with TM'ers is most never strayed far from the extremely
limited teachings of MMY (or "yoga lite" as I call it).  I swear he
learned early on the "white folks" were just damn too stupid or ignorant
to give much knowledge to and when he did they would SO misunderstand it
as to get it backwards.   However other teachers such as Sivananda
didn't seem to have this problem.  He had "white folks" followers and I
often kick myself that so many times in the 1980s I was killing time in
Spokane, Washington. If I had know one of his disciples lived there and
wrote a book on mantras I would have contacted her.   Sivananda and
Devananda share much on the subject of mantra shastra (at least info
that can be made so public).

It is interesting to note that "Om" is considered a mantra for use for
vata imbalances (though "Ram" is more frequently used).  It has a
grounding influence and that is why it precedes mantras.  As I've
mentioned here before I once read in a book by an Indian whose father
was a guru and who he described as being like a baby who had to be
attended by his devotees (and most likely by his son).  He had a section
on TM which he seemed to be familiar with.  He noted the lack of Omkara
in the techniques and said that he felt it was making TM'ers
"uncentered" which I think is true.   Depending on the physiology of the
individual this may or may not arise.  It probably would not in people
who are kapha but terribly in people who are vata.   In fact most people
I know who had problems with TM have been vata or pitta in nature.

I live in the SF Bay Area and there are quite a few Indians in the
communities around here.   Many of the Indians who run shops around here
are ex-engineers who wanted to work for themselves.  They are of Brahman
caste and know a lot about mantras, pujas, etc.   They always revile at
the idea of mantras being given without Omkara and think the idea that
Om will make someone impoverished is nonsense.  They may say that "Om"
by itself might do that and keep in mind what happens as one becomes
more kapha.

Having walked away from TM 25 years ago I am now enjoying the
instruction of a tantric samrat who resides in the Bay Area and has
taught me much about simple village tantra where is none of the
intellectual masturbation that accompanies so many teachings to obscure
things.   His teaching includes mantra shastra, a guru mantra and
powerful tantric siddhis (one very useful for shutting up yappers in
movie theaters).