--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_re...@...> wrote:

> This is one of my favorite blues songs:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibdw32oWIvo
>
> But does the bassist play mainly only the root
> of the chord??

Hey Card,

I love the guy too, thanks for posting it.  As you probably know this remake of
his mega hit "Dust My Broom" (with is a remake of Robert Johnson's original)
was an attempt to cash in on his big hit with the same guitar work.  I don't
hear a bass player, just a rhythm guitar. The bass line is with his thumb and
is a simple 1,4,5 shuffle pattern.  He remade this song another time, changing
the words a bit more in "Look On Yonder Wall."  A family just posted this video
of my Summer show on Youtube recently so you can see the guitar part easily.  I
am playing in open Ab and Elmore usually played in open E.

While I'm at it, here is a video of me at the International Blues Challenge in
Memphis TN last month.  Similar guitar pattern slowed down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8lZ6-EPcrI

There were 80 contestants from all over the world in my solo category.  All the
solo blues artists of the year for their local blues societies. I represented
Washington DC.