<paste>...scholars have generally delinked millennialism from the literal idea
of a 1,000 year reign of peace; that's just too Christian to apply to other
cultural frameworks.  Instead they see the search for an immanent, earthly,
transformation that makes this place profoundly better--like, say,
Heaven on Earth--as the defining characteristic of millennialism.  Once you
do that, you see millennialism EVERYWHERE.  It's downright eerie how uniform
humanity's hopes are; it must be hardwired in us.

Of course, the doomsday longing is a bit different, but it seems to be
psychologically linked.