On Feb 23, 2010, at 11:51 AM, cardemaister wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> Card, I think you go the wrong "chapter". It's chapter 2

That's true.

> > Posture becomes steady and comfortable by (suffix -bhyaam) relaxation (shaithilya) of effort (prayatna) and meditation (samaapatti) on
> > the Endless (an-anta).
>
> This last part is where you go wrong. Since Samkhya does not consider the universe to be infinite or endless, there must be another meaning. Ananta is the chief of a class of beings known as Nagas. He is not only stable across time, he said to be stable in many places. Like Krishna says "Of nagas, I am Ananta."

Taimni obviously just wanted to give a literal translation.
In his comment he sez, amongst other things:

"The other means recommended for acquiring this steadiness
is meditation on Ananta, the great Serpent which, according
to Hindu mythology, upholds the earth."

It's true. It's not unusual for yogic practices to include ways to communicate with nagas, which modern humans tend to see as extraterrestrials like "the grays". One famous yogi would often have what appeared like "fires" outside his meditation place, but close students all knew he was actually communicating with these beings.