Sal,

There was a survey in Ames:
http://www.iowadot.gov/trainhornstudy.htm

In this 73% of those surveyed who live close to the tracks responded the
whistle noise was too loud prior to the Quiet Zone, and only 4% after the Quiet
Zone (with automated whistles) was instituted.

60% reported the noise to be "very disturbing" at night time before the Quiet
Zone. This fell to 35% after the Quiet Zone was instituted.

The Council has already agreed to give $20,000 from the rebate they will get
for closing 2 crossings.

It's not the City that is holding this up, it will go ahead if private
donations will support it.

Anyway regardless of where you stand on the issue I hope you'll come to the
talk by Steve Briggs. It was superb last time (about 4 years ago).