--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> tartbrain wrote:
> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:

> >> I understand that you are linking his themes with the Maharishi quote
> >> Nabby.  But I see it a little differently.
> >>
> >> It isn't capitalism that Patel is targeting as much as free market
> >> dominant capitalism.  All markets have a continuum of regulation and
> >> freedom.  One of our biggest problems in the US is that our system of
> >> regulations is corrupted by special interest corporate lobbying.  This
> >> allows some of our biggest corporations to act in a way that doesn't serve
> >> the public good and can even cause disasters like our credit markets.
> >>
> >> And yet the incentives created by freedom in markets are a fantastic way
> >> to get people moving, to create systems of profit that can end up
> >> benefiting society through job creation.
> >>

> > Excellent distinction. There is a tendency (or thinking below our full
> > potential) to generalize Captitalism (or is it Kapitalism,) with all
> > markets. Often there is actually little corellation.
> >
> > What we have and are increasingly getting is cronyistic elitist statism --
> > which has NOTHING to do with free markets, particularly free markets at the
> > at the mom and pop micro level.
> >
> > I recently finished, and highly recommend, "Banker to the Poor" by the guy
> > who won the Nobel prize for his work in implementing and promoting
> > micro-finance for the world's poor. Its a breakthrough position, in my view
> > -- giving copious red meat (ok red lentils) to both the right and left (a
> > defunct set of terms, in my view - how can politics and world view, world
> > and individual solutions be limited to one dimension?) Ending world poverty
> > by enabling the 10% of the population to create and grow their open
> > businesses -- getting out from under the hand of exploitative statist
> > mini-Kapitalists who control local politics and markets (an oxymoron -- who
> > control controlled transactions among unfree participants)and enabling the
> > disadvantaged to creatie wealth, dignity, skill base, and a much more
> > textured and robust economy.
> >
> >  And then once again regulations assist so that an employer doesn't exploit
> > workers, which has not worked in all of our industries but has helped in
> > some.  Looking at working conditions at the turn of the last century we can
> > see that some progress have been made.
>
> There was a lot of this kind of writing back in the 1970s.   Remember
> "Small is Beautiful" and "Human Scale"?

Good books. Probably worth  re-read.

 I also read a lot of different
> economic books back then in Paul Erdman's economic thrillers where he
> explained economics through the medium of a novel.

I loved Erdman. I wish there was someone doing his sort of research / writing
today.

  Too bad he didn't
> live to see the fiasco that's going on now.
>
> As I've mentioned here before I really don't think anyone can really
> manage a large corporation and those doing so are putting on a charade
> (sort of illustrated in the movie "The Informant.").   I think the
> economy will collapse so bad that we indeed will be truly left a nation
> of villages where about everything is locally produced by local small
> businesses.  You can do a lot of things that way including manufacturing
> electronics and small cars.
>
> Do note that people expect the government to "create jobs".  Why not
> charge the government with creating small businesses.

Yes. And thats a theme of Banker to the Poor. And a related theme is that
training, the backbone of "creating jobs" and enabling people to fit in to
created jobs is quite inefficient in fighting poverty. His bank, and
micro-finance which has grown way beyond his efforts,  is all about providing
capital (its not a dirty word -- it just at times is used in corrupt ways) to
the poor to enable them to create their own business. For example a sewing
machine, a set of tools, a village cell phone, buying supplies in bulk, etc.
Its his contention that the poor are quite trained in the skills and marketing
know-how from from the context of their lives. Their biggest hurdle is not
having the capital to enable them to take that big (yet micro in dollar terms
-- on the level of a (or several) hundred dollars.

> Oh no, that might
> interfere with the operations of the mega corporations.
>
> I also maintain there should have been no bailout of the banks in 2008
> and the ensuing collapse would have created a short economic depression
> much less painful than the one we may suffer for decades.  The collapse
> would have hastened the small business scenario.

I have felt the same. And further, that given the high unemployment that would
have caused -- the economy and social safety net could have been kept afloat
over those several rough years by granting liberal educational loans -- enough
for tuition and reasonable living expenses, and to anyone and everyone who
wanted to go back to school or obtained specialized training -- part loans part
grants. In the longer run, the grants will be paid back when the recipients
earn more from their new degrees and certificates and pay more taxes.
Unemployed ? -- don't need to starve -- go back to school. Anyone can stay in
school that gets decent grades.  Economies will always be cyclical -- and will
be more extreme ups and downs with corrupt government / political processes
like the US and most nations face. And education / training needs to be
life-long -- no career and skill set will last 40 years anymore. I suggest we
collectively, as a society, fuse these two together. Pump up building human
capital to offset the low ebb of economic cycles -- and bubbles created from
delusion.