- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jst...@...> wrote:

"You said something revealing in a previous post, that
we have "erred on the side of" not suppressing religion
and of not being uncivil to religionists."

First I was just pissed when I read this since it is not what I meant.  But
then I found the quote and understand why you thought this:

Me
> > So I believe that we have erred on the side of allowing
> > unchallenged beliefs about how life works rather than
> > suppressing them or acting uncivilly to religious people
> > in this country in the last few decades.

You
> "Erred"? My goodness, I hope that's a figure of
> speech.

Poorly written and not what I intended.  That is why I didn't get what you were
challenging when I read your comment about "figure of speech" at first.  I
thought I must have misspelled erred!

The contrast was between us going overboard not challenging in open dissuasion
religions at all verses the other extreme of suppressing them or acting
uncivilly towards them. Given the combination of my poor phrasing and your
tendency to see the worst in me, I understand why you thought what you did. I
take responsibility for my poor writing.  We erred on the side of no discussion
at all to avoid the other extreme.

So let me be clear.  I am never advocating either being uncivil to any group of
people in society or suppressing beliefs. This is bad.

I AM in favor of challenging the content of religious claims just as we have
successfully done with witchcraft with has fallen out of favor in society as a
serious intellectual option. (I am also not in favor of the prejudice shown to
followers of WICCA since I consider their beliefs to be on the same level of
any other religion.) I am talking about spell casting which used to be very
popular and is now seen as an unlikely model for how the world really works.

Religious ideas have gotten a pass not given any other ideas in our culture.
It is the only area of knowledge where you can claim that you just believe with
no evidence and that view is taken as seriously as if you had good evidence for
a belief.

This has been shifting in some societies from putting people to death for
heresy to being able to have the right to voice challenges to religious claims.
 I am in favor of this right.  We all agree that what goes on in countries
where they imprison you for speaking against their religion is less
intellectually evolved, right?  We are all anti Taliban for example.  I am
saying we can do even better in our culture to expand our intellectual freedom
to discuss and challenge religious claims without people immediately assuming
you are advocating suppression or being uncivil for doing so.

No one gets offended if you say swinging a dead cat around in a sack in a
graveyard at midnight will NOT effect some change in the physical world. Yet if
you propose that perhaps the Eucharist in a Catholic mass is NOT physically
transforming in any real way, you are considered out of line and it is socially
unacceptable to challenge that belief. We have decided rather arbitrarily that
challenging that a person who straps bombs on themselves to get into a virgin
filled heaven is acting irrationally.

I will deal with your other points later and thanks for writing in detail.  I
needed to correct this point first.