do.rflex wrote:
> The only two cities that could be considered sanitary in my journey were
> Trivandrum–the capital of Kerala–and Calicut. I don't know
> why this is. But I can assure you that at some point this pollution will
> cut into India's productivity, if it already hasn't. The
> pollution will hobble India's growth path, if that indeed is what
> the country wants. (Which I personally doubt, as India is far too
> conservative a country, in the small `c' sense.)

He must not have visited Cochin in Kerala. That is a very modern city
perhaps the most I visited there. I was going to post on that "did you
experience this in India" thread my experiences and the cool contrast
Kerala presented. But I was busy and didn't have time to reply. Here's
the thing: Kerala was the first state to go communist in India yet I saw
commerce and business thriving. Beggars? Saw none on the beach in
Kovalum, Kerala but instead vendors selling fruit and cigarettes and
wondered if they just enlisted people who would have been beggars to do
that. I only encountered one beggar outside of a cafeteria in Cochin
which two of us feeling the hungries for fish and chips decided to go to
a 5 star hotel restaurant and get some which was a welcome break from
Indian and Chinese food (the latter for pitta types like me).

I do have to cut India a break because they were quite oppressed under
the British and then the Nehru dynasty. Indians who have been successful
in the west and have returned home have been initiating efforts to pick
up the country by its bootstraps. Their current leader ran on a platform
of extending the prosperity the tech sector was bringing to the rest of
India. People comment, at least still in the 1990s, that a lot of people
live on $1 a day there. How much is that an hour? 50 cents, because they
only have to work two hours a day to make ends meet. We should be so
lucky. And that income is relative as it bought a helluva lot more there
than $1 here would. And a vast majority of those living on $1 a day
probably didn't have to pay any rent as they were living in home passed
down through the family (especially in the villages where this figure
holds up).

The best ice cream sundae I've ever had was in Calicut at a penthouse
restaurant. Freshly made ice cream with fresh cashews and pistachios
topped with chocolate liquor.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: