--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>
wrote:

> Ok, that makes sense.

Lurk, it really doesn't. Almost all of what has been
added to the deficit under Obama has been to keep the
economy (which began falling apart largely as a result
of Bush's policies) from crashing completely.

The big problem is that he didn't add *enough* to the
deficit to really do the job; all he did was save the
banks and Wall Street, at least for the time being, and
make a pathetically small inroad on unemployment. He
hasn't managed to put in place what's needed to keep
this from happening again, worse, which is more
regulation.

> I thought it might be for other reasons.  I agree. I think
> we're in trouble.

The problem is long-term deficits. Short-term deficits
that lift the economy are beneficial. If they work, the
short-term part gets paid off. Not making that distinction,
as Shemp does not, is misleading in the extreme.

Here's a pretty good basic explanation of deficit spending:

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2009/03/20/making-heads-and-tails-of-the-cbo-budget-numbers/

http://tinyurl.com/yeaq7h8

This was written a year ago, before we knew what would
be involved in healthcare reform. Whether the program
they're now trying to pass will cut costs sufficiently
is a whole 'nother question (as is whether it'll get
passed at all).