It now appears that every time since last July that
Obama said he was in favor of a public option for
health insurance reform, he did so despite having
promised the healthcare industry interests that
there would be no public option in the bill.

No wonder there was no evidence of his having fought
*for* the public option. To the contrary, he knew he
wasn't going to allow it.

>From "Did Obama Kill the Public Option in July?" by
Paul Hogarth:

-----
...President Obama has been justifiably slammed for not
pushing hard enough for a public option, but the
truth may be even worse than that. We know the White
House cut a deal with hospitals and insurance
companies last July on prescription drugs -- but as a
New York Times reporter said this week, they also
killed the public option....

On August 13th, David Kirkpatrick reported in the New
York Times that contrary to public perception,
President Obama was playing a much bigger role in
shaping the health care bill...."Several hospital
lobbyists involved in the White House deals," he
wrote, "said it was understood as a condition of
their support that the final legislation would not
include a government-run health plan."...Kirkpatrick
went on to quote one of the industry lobbyists, Chip
Kahn, who said: "We have an agreement with the White
House that I'm very confident will be seen all the
way through conference."...

On March 15th, Ed Shultz of MSNBC had the Times'
David Kirkpatrick on his show - who confirmed that
Obama's backroom deal with the hospital and
pharmaceutical industries last July included an
agreement to kill the public option....

In other words, while Obama was still saying in
September that he supports the public option (which
kept us hopeful) - the President knew all along that
it would never make it in the final bill. He never
said he'd fight to include the public option, and
repeatedly said he was "open" to other ways to
achieve the same goal. But little did we know, the
fix was in....
-----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-hogarth/did-obama-kill-the-public_1_b_503975.html

http://tinyurl.com/yhzd8sm

Also see:

-----
"NY Times Reporter Confirms Obama Made Deal to Kill
Public Option"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/miles-mogulescu/ny-times-reporter-confirm_b_500999.html

http://tinyurl.com/ygffa3f
-----

-----
"Industry Interests Are Not in Their 'Twilight'"

"...[Obama] repeatedly railed against the Washington
practice of crafting bills by negotiating in secret with
lobbyists and industry interests, and his whole I'll-put-
these-negotations-on-C-SPAN promise was specifically
designed, he said, to prevent a health care bill from
being negotiated based on secret deals with the health
care and pharmaceutical industries.

"But that's exactly how he ended up negotiating this bill
-- using the exact secret processes that he railed against
and which he swore he would banish...."

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/03/20/health_care/index.html

http://tinyurl.com/yk7suxl
-----