> > > 'Nuff said.
> >
> > Says Barry, neatly but entirely inadvertently
> > stepping on his own point. The Memorex slogan
> > highlights the *accuracy* of the reproduction--
> > one can't even be sure which one is hearing, the
> > live or the recorded performance. That's similar
> > to the situation with MMY's teaching, unlike with
> > that of Jesus, where we don't even have the
> > Memorex.
>
> Again dealing with the issue, let's take an
> example of "MMY's teaching," and have you tell
> us what his teaching "really" was, based on
> the recordings.
>
> If you were able to get ahold of tapes from
> Squaw Valley 1968, you would hear a fellow who
> was sitting next to me ask Maharishi about the
> siddhis, in particular things like levitation.
> Maharishi's response was, "Capture the fort."
> He told this fellow, and the whole audience
> to have *nothing* to do with the siddhis. He
> said emphatically that they were a *distrac-
> tion* to the enlightenment process, possibly
> dangerous, and unnecessary because if one
> transcended regularly via TM you would "capture
> the fort" with no need to waste time trying to
> capture outlying "minor outposts" like "flying."
>
> Cut to the 1976-77 period, during which MMY
> taught emphatically that everyone should learn
> to "fly" using the TM-Sidhi techniques he was
> experimenting with, because it would greatly
> speed their own enlightenment. This is also
> recorded on Memorex.
>
> Later being able to actually levitate became
> the "proof" of full enlightenment or Unity, also
> recorded on tape. Then it became less about the
> individual, and more of a thing you do for the
> world, creating powerful waves of invincibility
> for the nation and the world. Again, probably
> recorded on tape.
>
> So which tape is "What Maharishi taught?" I'll wait.

All of them. <duh>

> The *naivete* of believing that one can read *one
> instance* of teaching on a particular subject and
> "know" from that "What a teacher taught" astounds
> to me.

Lots of things that "astound to" [sic] you never
existed anywhere but in your own mind. The above
is an excellent example.

 Teachers contradict themselves from year
> to year, sometimes more often. Teachers say one
> thing to one audience and another thing to another
> audience. What is recorded on Memorex may have been
> spoken to a large group or to a particular person
> asking a question. If the latter, is it an answer
> for everyone in the room and everyone listening to
> the tape, or just the person who asked the question?
>
> The idea that one can learn about a spiritual
> teacher's teaching by "listening to the tapes" or
> "reading the books" assumes two things that my
> experience has shown me are not true. The first
> is that teachings can be assumed to be static.

That's an assumption you've fabricated and
attributed to me, not one I've ever made.

 In
> reality teachings *change* from time to time and
> from audience to audience.

Quite likely. And so...? What does that have to
do with anything?

> The second is more important, and has to do with
> teachings about the nature enlightenment itself.
> That can *never* be captured in words, so it doesn't
> matter how many tapes you listen to, you still aren't
> going to be able to understand enlightenment.

Another assumption you've fabricated and attributed
to me, not one I've ever made. In fact, that
enlightenment can never be captured in words *is
exactly what MMY taught*.