--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG" <wg...@...> wrote:

> Tip over and *capsize*...nice try Judy!

Yes, it's called a *metaphor*, BillyG. This was actually
a pretty clever one given that he was talking about the
environmental balance on a small island, which is similar
to a boat in that it's surrounded by water. One of the
meanings of "to capsize" is "to be upset." More people
on the island, he was suggesting, would be likely to
tip and upset the island's environmental balance.

I know it's difficult for literalists to grasp anything
but the simplest metaphors (and sometimes not even
those), so it's not surprising this one confused you.

> Ha, ha, actually I guess the congressman has been suffering
> with Hepatitis C for some time...

Ha, ha, yes, he's in poor health, how hilarious!

For the record, hepatitis C doesn't make you stupid. It
can make you a little forgetful, which may be why he was
having trouble coming up with the proper words to
describe the island's dimensions. But it wouldn't make
you forget that islands don't tip over and capsize,
unless you were so stupid to begin with that you'd
*always* thought islands could tip over and capsize.
Which Johnson ain't.