The housing market is not going to improve anytime soon with the Wall Street
Journal and other prominant financial papers advising people to walk away from
their mortgages. Our area is down in value about 33% with in many cases is
$100,000.

It is estimated that at Least 25% of people in default are strategic defaults.
This is unprecedented in history. The only way out of this is for the banks or
federal government slash the debt/ principle on these loans.

Wall street journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703795004575087843144657512.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Popular

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/17/business/la-fi-walkaway17-2010mar17

More homeowners are opting for 'strategic defaults'
Underwater on their mortgages and angry at banks, more borrowers are choosing
to hand over the keys, even if they can afford the payments.
March 17, 2010|By Alana Semuels
Wynn Bloch has always dutifully paid her bills and socked away money for
retirement. But in December she defaulted on the mortgage on her Palm Desert
home, even though she could afford the payments.

Bloch paid $385,000 for the two-bedroom in 2006, when prices were still
surging. Comparable homes are now selling in the low-$200,000s. At 66, the
retired psychologist doubted she'd see her investment rebound in her lifetime.
Plus, she said she was duped into an expensive loan.

The way she sees it, big banks that helped fuel the mess all got bailouts while
small fry like her are left holding the bag. No more.

"There was not a chance that house was ever going to be worth anywhere near
what my mortgage was," said Bloch, who is now renting a few miles away after
defaulting on the $310,000 loan. "I haven't cheated or stolen."

Time was when Americans would do almost anything to hang on to their homes. But
that commitment appears to be fraying as more people fall behind on their loans
while watching the banks and lenders that helped trigger the financial crisis
return to prosperity.

Nearly one-quarter of U.S. mortgages, or about 11 million loans, are
"underwater," i.e. the houses are worth less than the balance of their loans.
While home values are regaining ground -- median prices rose 10% in Southern
California last month to $275,000 compared with a year earlier -- they remain
far below the July 2007 peak of $505,000.

Many homeowners are just coming to grips with the idea that prices will take
years to reach the pre-crash peak: as long as 14 years in California, according
to economist Chris Thornberg.

Stuck with properties whose negative equity won't recover for years, and
feeling betrayed by financial institutions that bankrolled the frenzy, some
homeowners are concluding it's smarter to walk away than to stick it out.

"There is a growing sense of anger, a growing recognition that there is a
double standard if it's OK for financial institutions to look after themselves
but not OK for homeowners," said Brent T. White, a law professor at the
University of Arizona who wrote a paper on the subject.

Just how many are walking away isn't clear. But some researchers are convinced
that the numbers are growing. So-called strategic defaults accounted for about
35% of defaults by U.S. homeowners in December 2009, up from 23% in March of
2009, according to Luigi Zingales, a professor at the University of Chicago's
Booth School of Business.

When It's OK to Walk Away From Your Home By BRETT ARENDS..ArticleComments
(141)more in Investing ».EmailPrintSave This ↓ More.
.facebook
 Twitter
 Digg
 StumbleUpon
 + More
 close Yahoo! BuzzMySpacedel.icio.usRedditLinkedInFarkViadeoOrkut Text
.Millions of Americans are now deeply underwater on their mortgage. If you're
among them, you need to stop living in a dream world and give serious thought
to walking away from the debt.

No, you shouldn't feel bad about it, and you shouldn't feel guilty. The lenders
would do the same to you—in a heartbeat. You need to put yourself and your
family's finances first.

How widespread is this? More than 11 million families are in "negative
equity"—that is, they owe more on their home than it is worth—according to a
report out this week by FirstAmerican Core Logic, a real-estate data firm.
That's a quarter of all families with mortgages. And for more than five million
of those borrowers, the crisis is extreme: They are more than 25%
underwater—the equivalent of having a $100,000 loan on a property now worth
just $75,000 or less. That's true for a fifth of mortgage holders in
California, nearly a third in Florida and an incredible 50% in Nevada.

Are you in this situation? Are you still battling to pay the bills each month,
even when it may make little financial sense to do so?

It's time for some tough talk.

Stop trying to chase your lost equity. That money is gone. Don't think like the
gambler who blows more and more cash trying to win back his losses. That's how
a lot of people turn a small loss into a big one.

And do the math. Even if you hope the real estate market is near the
bottom—it's possible, but by no means certain—it may still take years to see
any meaningful recovery. If you are 25% underwater, your home will have to rise
by 33% just to get you back to even.

Is that likely? And over what time period? Even if home prices rose by 5% a
year from here, that would still take six years. And during that time you could
instead be building fresh savings elsewhere.

View Full Image

Bloomberg News

A real-estate agent moves a torn "Lender Foreclosure" sign outside a foreclosed
home in Reno, Nev., last Monday.
.If you are reluctant to give up on "your" home, realize that it isn't "yours."
If you are in negative equity, it's the bank's home. You're just renting it.
And right now you may be paying way above market rates. You need to be ruthless
about your cash flow.

Are you worried about the legal consequences of walking away? Certainly, you
should check with a lawyer before doing anything, but the consequences will
probably be more limited than you think.

In "non-recourse" states, the mortgage lender may have no right to come after
you for any shortfall. They may have no option but to take the home, sell it
and eat the loss. According to a survey last year by the Federal Reserve Bank
of Richmond, such states include negative-equity hot spots California and
Arizona. Even in "recourse" states, lenders may have limited ability to come
after you. Often they'd have to jump a lot of legal hurdles, and it's just not
worth it for them. They're swamped with cases anyway.

"In my experience, right now they're not really going after anyone," says
Richard Nemeth, a bankruptcy attorney in Cleveland. "They just don't have the
resources."

If you've taken smart steps to protect your money, you may be safer still. For
example, money held in a 401(k), Individual Retirement Account or pension plan
is sheltered from creditors.

Sure, a strategic foreclosure may hurt your credit score. But if you're in
financial difficulties, it's probably already suffered. And your credit score
is not the only thing in life that matters.

Still, when it comes to the idea of walking away from debts, many people are
held back by a sense of morality. They feel it's wrong to abandon their
obligations. They don't want to be a deadbeat.

Your instincts, while honorable, are leading you astray.

The economy is fundamentally amoral.

Sometimes I think middle-class Americans are the only people who haven't worked
this out yet. They're operating with a gallant but completely out-of-date plan
of attack—like an old-fashioned cavalry with plumed hats and shining swords
charging against machine guns.

Do you think your lenders would be shy about squeezing you for an extra nickel
if they thought they could get away with it?

They knew what they were doing when they wrote your loan. Many were guilty of
malpractice, but they pocketed good money and they've gotten away with it. And
if they thought your loan was "risk free," how come they were charging you so
much more than the interest on Treasury bonds?

If you're only a small amount underwater on your mortgage, it's probably the
case that you're going to be better off staying put. But if you are deeply
underwater, it's a different matter.

Whether we like it or not, walking away from debts is as American as apple pie.
Companies file for bankruptcy all the time, and their lenders eat the losses.
Executives and investors pocketed millions from the likes of Washington Mutual,
Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns when the going was good. They didn't have to
give back one cent of that money when the companies went into bankruptcy.

Limited liability, after all, is one of the main reasons every business from
your local dry-cleaner to a major multinational gets incorporated in the first
place. They're not shy about protecting themselves if things go wrong. You
shouldn't be either.