Here's the way it looks to me:

* In my impressionable youth, an Indian guy wearing a
dress tells me that mediation is the "highest path" in
the universe, and that learning and practicing it every
day will make me not only a "better person," but really,
really, really SPECIAL.

* I am so naive and so wanting to be SPECIAL that I choose
to believe him.

* Later, to sell this same idea to more people, the Indian
guy wearing a dress talks some of his students (who have no
bias or interest in proving themselves SPECIAL, of course)
into doing shoddy research to "prove" his claims that
meditation will make everyone a "better person" and really,
really, really SPECIAL.

* I read this research, look at all the pretty charts that
I don't understand, and renew my belief in what the Indian
guy wearing a dress told me. I call this process "Science."

* Later, the same Indian guy wearing a dress tells me that
not only am *I* a "better person" and really, really, really
SPECIAL because *I* practice this meditation that he sells,
I am *SO* SPECIAL that me sitting on my butt practicing it
(or bouncing on that same butt) affects the *whole world*.
I am, in fact *SO* SPECIAL that I control the weather,
whether there are wars or peace, and the future of the
entire planet.

* I am so naive and so wanting to be SPECIAL that I choose
to believe him, again.

* Later, pretty much the same completely unbiased students
of the Indian guy wearing a dress are coerced into doing
*more* shoddy research to "prove" this second set of claims
true.

* No one in the entire field of science believes this, but
I do, because *again* I don't have to change the beliefs I
formed in my impressionable youth. Again, I call this
process "Science."

Am I wrong about this, Doug? This is what your use of the
word "Science" looks like to me...