So they began the meditation. I did TM; I don't know
what others were doing, but I assume most of them
weren't doing TM.  And I was disappointed, because
it felt kind of chaotic, not at all like meditating
with others at the TM center.

That's been my experience on several other occasions
as well when I participated in a group non-TM
meditation.

-----I've had different experiences than that at three larger group gatherings. One with Penor Rinpoche, one with Kunzang Dechen Lingpa and one with the Dalai Lama. Each time I found crystal clear larger-than-me transcendence with even a more dissolving and salient quality than I ever experienced in the domes. Leading me to believe that the Buddhist teachings amplified more areas of the mind than mere TM.   So to me the effect of groups of -seasoned- meditators still gives me hope. TM is not needed.  It's just a technique. Consciousness is the real -untechnique-.