--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anatol_zinc" <anatol_zinc@>
> wrote:
> >
> > don't know if this guy is genuine
> > but believe it is possible
>
> > in Autobiography of a Yogi, Paramahansa Yogananda writes about
> > two lady saints who did not take food for decades one was a
> > Catholic nun whom I assume was investigated and watched by
> > the church
> >
> > but most of all I believe Yogananda
> >
> > and more recently, Mooji of www.mooji.org
> > said that he knows personally a whole family,
> > except for the youngest one, in South Brazil
> > who are breatherians
> >
> > science cannot prove that something like this is not possible,
> > therefore, anyone who wishes to relive that it is possible
> > is basically saying this is my hypothesis
> > and it remains to be proven one way or the other
>
> Edg dismissed the story outright as an impossibility or a fraud.
> Turq, if I followed his line of reasoning, seemed to dismiss it
> as well.

Lurk, I'm chiming in because I like you, and you did, in
fact, fail to follow my "line of reasoning."

I said nothing whatsoever about this story. My comments
were solely about the mindset of people who either believe
the story upon hearing it, or disbelieve it upon hearing it.
I care *nothing* about "miracle stories" in general, or
about this one in particular. I have had it up to here
with miracles in my life with no discernible benefit as
a result. But I *am* curious as to the *ways that spiritual
seekers think*.

Above you see one example of this "how." Anatol, as sweet
and as nice a guy as he probably is, "believes Yogananda,"
a man he never met. Not a heckuva lot of discrimination
goin' on there.

Edg, at the other pole, believes the story is a fraud, and
a knowing one, while having no more "hands on" experience
with the miracle-maker in question than Anatol. Not a
heckuva lot of discrimination there, either.

My only point in chiming in on this thread in the first
place was to suggest that when it comes to "siddhi stories"
or "miracle stories," there is almost no discrimination
goin' on, period.

People use "miracle stories" as a way of *reinforcing
what they already believe*. They don't WANT to analyze
or "prove"/"disprove" them scientifically. They want
only to keep believing the things they believe today.