Perry blames God for oil leak             by Charles Kuffner
<http://www.offthekuff.com/> . May 3rd, 2010
That sure is what this
<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36691.html>  sounds like to
me.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Monday offered a stern warning against halting oil
drilling in the Gulf of Mexico in the wake of a massive oil leak, and he
raised the question of whether the explosion was an "act of
God."

The Republican governor, speaking at the Chamber of Commerce in
Washington, warned against a "a knee-jerk reaction" to the spill
and said the government doesn't know what caused the leak, which
took 11 lives and threatens the Gulf coast's vast fishing industry.

"We don't know what the event that has allowed for this massive
oil to be released," Perry said alongside several other governors on
a panel Monday. "And until we know that, I hope we don't see a
knee-jerk reaction across this country that says we're going to shut
down drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, because the cost to this country
will be staggering."

Perry questioned whether the spill was "just an act of God that
occurred" and said that any "politically driven" decisions
could put the U.S. in further economic peril.

"From time to time there are going to be things that occur that are
acts of God that cannot be prevented," Perry said.

I'm sure I know as much about this sort of thing as our Governor,
but I don't think it would ever occur to me to call a mechanical
failure an act of God. I mean, as Juanita
<http://juanitajean.com/2010/05/03/gods-gonna-get-even/>  asks, does
that mean that the explosion at the BP refinery in Texas City back in
2005 was an act of God, too? Honestly, I have no idea what he's
getting at here. The radical cleric Pat Robertson has claimed that
Hurricane Katrina <http://mediamatters.org/research/200509130004>  and
the earthquake in Haiti
<http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/13/haiti.pat.robertson/index.html>  were
acts of God; specifically, acts of God's wrath against us for our
sins. Would Perry care to venture a guess as to what God was punishing
us for with this?

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=27958