--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill" <emptyb...@...> wrote:

> So how does Egenes get "subordinate" for upasarga?
>
> George Firestone sez -
>
> upa + |s.rj
>
> upa = to, unto, toward
> s.rj = to emit
>
> But upasarga is "trouble" not "vighna" (obstruction)) which is how it is
> usually translated.
>
> What gives Card?

Well, Bhoja's comment begins like this:

te praak-pratipaaditaaH phala-visheSaaH samaadheH prakarSaM
gacchata upasargaa upadravaa vighna-kaarinaH |

So, he seems to give as synonyms for 'upasarga' the words
'upadrava' and 'vighna-kaarin ("making vighna"), above
in plural:

upadrava        m. that which attacks or occurs suddenly , any grievous
accident , misfortune , calamity , mischief , national distress (such as famine
, plague , oppression , eclipse , &c.) ; national commotion , rebellion ;
violence , outrage MBh. R. S3ak. VarBr2S. &c. [199,3] ; a supervenient disease
or one brought on whilst a person labours under another Sus3r. ; the fourth of
the five parts of a Sa1man stanza Shad2vBr. Comm. on TA1r. &c.

vighna  m. breaker, destroyer (---); m. (n.) obstacle, hindrance.

Thus, I have no idea how Egenes gets his 'subordinate'...