From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Sal Sunshine
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2010 5:33 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Acedia & Fairfield

On May 30, 2010, at 5:13 PM, Rick Archer wrote:

>> FW;
>> "I knew Daniel well and have a little different take than some others.
this is what my perception was knowing what was going on. Had I known the
last 2 months he told so many people his pain was too great and he was
thinking of killing himself I would have intervened strongly in some way.
intervention may have helped but at the same time. a person has to be
receptive and I don't know how receptive Daniel was. that advaita group all
think they are beyond human help and looked to him as the mentor and teacher
and he had no one." <end paste>

> Whoever wrote this doesn't know what they're talking about. They may never
have been to the group, and you certainly haven't. We loved and respected
Dan, and he spoke with great clarity from a great depth, but the group in
general did not look to him as mentor and teacher, and he had people he
respected to whom he could talk as much as he wanted to.

I sure hope not, Rick. There seems to be something
profoundly odd about a group of middle-aged people
looking to someone more than half their age as a
"mentor and teacher," JMO.
I wouldn't find that odd. Christ died at 33, Shankara at 32. The latter was
a guru from his early teens. I don't think chronological age correlates
tightly with wisdom, or the age of the soul, if souls have ages. But anyway,
that wasn't our relationship with Dan. He was one of the gang. If he talked
too much, someone would ask him to button his lip and give others a chance.