From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of TurquoiseB
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 4:00 AM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: A challenge to Rick

To follow up, and explain a little, I'm not trying to overly
get in your face, Rick. I'm just pointing out the essential
value of your original vision in creating Fairfield Life.
I understand.

I am of the opinion that the record of Jim Flanegin's thoughts,
words and actions presented here on FFL is a more interesting
and revealing one than the record presented on the BATGAP
forum, or in his video. Same with Ravi, and with Rory's
performance here compared to the ones on his website.

On Fairfield Life, people did not just accept what these guys
*said about* their subjective experiences. They didn't stop at
allowing them to talk the talk. They asked them to walk the
walk. And I don't think I'm alone in thinking that all three
of the aforementioned guys turned out to be far better talkers
than walkers.
I wouldn't rate them equally, but to each his own. Batgap.com does have a
mechanism for feedback, which some have used to comment on interviews,
sometimes critically, but it's not primarily designed as a discussion forum,
like this one.

THAT exemplifies "What is wanted is not the will to believe,
but the wish to find out, which is the exact opposite." THAT
exemplifies "The healthy mind challenges its own assumptions."
THAT exemplifies "Believe nothing, no matter where you read
it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it
agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." THAT
exemplifies "I tore myself away from the safe comfort of
certainties through my love for the truth; and truth
rewarded me."

If "everyday enlightenment" is a real phenomenon, allow it
to *prove itself* in the face of critical examination. Allow
the talkers to prove their "achievement" by walking the walk
of it. If they can, cool...something valuable has been learned
from that. If they cannot, cool...something valuable has also
been learned from that.
How, in the context of BatGap, could they do that to your satisfaction?
I think it's fair to say that I have a...uh...somewhat dif-
ferent perspective on people who claim to be enlightened
than many here. I studied with one such person for many
years, and feel that I learned a great deal from his moments
of clarity, in which his walk seemed to match his talk.

But I feel that I learned a great deal more from those
moments in which his walk did *not* match his talk, and in
fact seemed to undercut it and render the talk bullshit. I
am thankful to have been exposed to both sides of the story.
I am equally thankful to have been exposed to both sides of
the story here on Fairfield Life.
I was saying that just tonight in an email to a friend. Here's the whole
email, in case you find it interesting:
If I got anything out of all those hours spent reading the Jaimini sutras,
it was that little phrase "on the other hand." If you didn't read that, you
probably saw Fiddler on the Roof. All that Susan says makes sense, and a
significant part of me agrees with it. It may well be true, but on the other
hand.....

One thing I should have said the other day when I was talking about people
taking their stories too seriously was that Dan appears to have taken his
too seriously.

Maharishi helped me in many ways, including screwing young women while
claiming to be a life celibate. I mean it. After the initial shock of
discovering that really happened (after dismissing the rumors for 25 years),
I settled into a healthy skepticism. I believe many things, respect various
teachers and scriptures, including Maharishi, but I can't help but take
everything with a grain of salt.

I can't seem to form hard and fast opinions about anything, including Dan's
death. I lean on the side of feeling it was an unjustifiable act which
should have been stopped somehow, but I don't know that for sure and don't
know whether it could have been stopped. I fantasize myself having
discovered what Dan was planning to do, refusing to leave his side, taking
his gun away, etc., etc., but it's all 20/20 hindsight.
I don't find myself at all drawn to reading the BATGAP forum
on a regular basis, or to watching your videos, because it
seems to me that only one side of the story is being presented.
I think that it would be more fair to posterity to present
both sides.
i.e., Ravi?

Add a "pre-commentary" to Ravi's video of your own if you'd
like, to put it into perspective. Read a few of the things
he posted on Fairfield Life, and *comment on* the discrepancy
between his walk and his talk if you'd like. That seems to
me to be "fair and balanced," as FOX News likes to think of
itself as being. But to "disappear" his video as if it never
existed? That's more like how FOX News walks its "fair and
balanced" talk in real life.
I was thinking something along those lines. That is, if I post the video,
which I'm open to doing, I accompany it with the story of why I decided to
interview him and what happened after I did. Do you think there would be any
legal liability in my doing such a thing?