Noticing that no one really followed up on the Seeker-Skeptic
dialogue I posted yesterday about "the origins of the myths
about what happens to you when you criticize a spiritual
teacher," I'll follow up myself, because it seems to me to
be a classic example of a larger phenomenon -- seekers being
unable to remember where the things they hold as true (or
Truth) *came from*, and who taught these things to them.

Anyone who has paid their dues in the TMO has heard the
admonitions about how Bad it is to doubt one's spiritual
teacher, and the Bad Things that will happen to them if they
dare to criticize their spiritual teacher or repeat stories
about them that are...uh...less than in accord with that
teacher's public image. (Anyone who hasn't heard such stories
was so on the periphery of the TMO or so at the bottom of its
power pyramid that no one thought they were worth telling
such stories to.)

Such stories abound in hyperbole. "Dissing one's spiritual
teacher is the worst karma imaginable." "Do it and you will
end up in the Hell Worlds forever." "Do it and you are all
but guaranteeing rebirth as a cockroach." "Do it and your
dick will fall off." OK, I made up the last one, but you
get the picture, because you've heard these things yourself.
You've probably even believed a few of them.

But where did they COME FROM? Who TAUGHT these things
that you've believed in the past and possibly still believe
today TO you?

The spiritual teachers themselves, that's who. Or the trad-
itions from which they came, which have a *vested interest*
in keeping their followers from ever being able to view the
actions of those teachers or those traditions critically.

Every day on some Internet forum I see people repeating
these "words of wisdom" about how karmically terrible it is
to criticize or doubt one's spiritual teacher, much less to
repeat a story about them that suggests that they are either
less than ethical or outright criminals. Occasionally on
these forums I ask the people saying these things how they
know that these things they're repeating as if they were
true or Truth *are* true, and where they *came from*.

None of them can remember. Or they claim not to be able to.
When asked how they "know" that dissing their spiritual
teacher is going to cause the critic to do hard time in the
hell worlds, they claim to just "know" it, as if it were
"self evident," or as if they were born believing this.
When I trot out actual quotes from the *teacher himself*
saying the things they've just said in a lecture, using
the exact same words, they claim never to have heard that
lecture. Instead, they say they "read it in a scripture,"
or heard it elsewhere.

It's a complete mental disconnect, as if once seekers have
been convinced of the need to "protect the perfect rep of
the perfect teacher," they can at that point no longer
remember that it was the teacher himself or other teachers
in his tradition who taught them to protect him in the
first place.

Now look at the Catholic Church, and them now dealing with
the karma of centuries of doing exactly this same thing. It
was just *not permissible* to criticize fellow priests or
or Bishops or Cardinals or the Pope and thus lend any
credence to tales that they were diddling little boys or
each other. Doing so could get you excommunicated and earn
you a one-way ticket to Hell. And the result? Centuries of
abuse, not only tolerated but *supported* by the systematic
silence. Discoveries of one of the Pope's own head ushers
running a gay prostitution ring of rent boys recruited
from the ranks of choir boys *from the Vatican*.

All I'm sayin' is the next time you trot out one of these
Truths, it might be a good thing to try to remember who
TAUGHT you that it was "Truth," and what might have been
"in it for them" to convince you that it is.