> > How is this different than learning how to play
> > a violin.? ...and getting an expert teacher in
> > that field?

TurquoiseB:
> If we believe the claims of the enlightened, a
> significant number of them (and historically an
> *important* number of them) realized their
>  enlightenment without working with a teacher...

So, how many teachers in history have claimed to be
'enlightened', without having had a 'teacher'? And,
why would that be important?

Only a few teachers have ever made a claim of being
'enlightened', so the number of teachers NOT having
a teacher themselves would probably be about what,
three or four?

After you've done some research, get back to me and
let's discuss YOUR enlightened teacher. LOL!

Titles of interest:

'Sinister Yogis'
by David Gordon White
University Of Chicago Press, 2009

'The Great Oom'
The Improbable Birth of Yoga in America
by Robert Love
Viking, 2010

'Transcendent in America'
Hindu-Inspired Meditation Movements as New Religion
by Lola Williamson
New York University Press, 2010

'A History of Modern Yoga'
Patanjali and Western Esotericism