What *were* Patanjali's criteria for levitation? Are they all met
within the TMSP, and therefore should we expect more than "bhuchari
siddhi" (hopping)?

Well, Patanjali gives at least TWO formulae for achieving levitation:

1) YS III:39 Through mastery of udaana-prana, non-adhesion to water,
mud or thorns--the power of "rising" (utkraanti).

and the TMSP sutra:

2) YS III:42 Through samayama on the relation between the body and
ether and through absorption on cotton fiber's lightness--we traverse
space.

What's missing here? Duh!

What is udana? How is it different from the other pranas? How is it
channeled into the neck and head? Isn't that dangerous?

Even if we did manage to do these two, why didn't we get that the 4th
pranayama in pada 2 was the key to go beyond the formulae?

The answer: he were never told.

What I wonder is: why were you never told?

or

WHY DID YOU NEVER ASK?