On Jul 13, 2010, at 2:59 PM, Mike Dixon wrote:

> Yes, he did give formal vows, in the beginning,maybe even up till the early
> 70's, but I was told later he stopped it, or may have been much more
> selective to whom he gave them.

And, of course, you realize from the POV of Swami Brahmananda we was never ever
authorized to do such a thing, right?

It was more a sign of how expanded his ego was at the time than it was his own
tradition's acceptance of Mahesh-as-the-Brahmin guru. Really, in terms of his
own tradition, what he was doing was heretical.

Perhaps that appeals to your countercultural liberal side I guess...