--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_...@...> wrote:

> I just want to repeat this over and over again.  Nobody seems to be
listening.  Maybe the repetition will create a vibration of warning for
the entire forum and the country as a whole.

There's a debate going on as to which road to take now: more stimulus,
which most liberal economists are heavily recommending and which history
demands, vs the conservative Hoover-like deficit fearmongers.

Take a careful look at how FDR responded to the Great Depression [below]
with massive stimulus spending and how when listening to the deficit
fearmongers and stopping the spending it brought back the downturn.
After resuming the stimulus spending, the recovery proceeded.

Note these two particular paragraphs in the context below them:

Roosevelt did make one mistake after this.
He caved in to the conservatives in Congress
(and his treasury secretary) and presented a
balanced budget, cutting stimulus spending.

Roosevelt was also worried that inflation
would ensue if GDP grew too fast, which it
was. GDP growth was tremendous. The result
is that the economy contracted 6% to 86.1
billion in 1938. The recovery slipped.

--- Here are the GDP figures of the New Deal in today's dollars. These
are
the facts. To suggest that the New Deal did not help, and maybe made it
worse, is appalling.

The GDP was 103.6 billion in 1929 at the start of the Great Depression
under Herbert Hoover.

It dropped 12% to 91.2 in 1930 (under Hoover).

It dropped another 16% to 76.5 in 1932 (under Hoover).

It dropped another 23% to 58.7 in 1932 (under Hoover).

It dropped only 4% in 1933 after Roosevelt finally took over and stopped
the crisis with emergency
measures. His first 100 days saw a whirlwind of economic relief.

The GDP then rose a staggering 17% to 66.0 billion in 1934 (under FDR)!
It rose another 11% to 73.3 in 1935 (under FDR). It rose another 14% to
83.8 in 1936 (under FDR). It rose another 10% to 91.9 in 1937 (under
FDR). These are good numbers. The U.S. was out of a depression by 1937
and in only a recession. FDR also brought relief to the suffering
through relief programs.

The growth of personal income (money in the hands of consumers after
taxes) is almost identical to GDP, which is quote impressive compared to
any president's record. I urge you to seek out the economic statistics
and make the comparison yourself.

One of many great Roosevelt achievements was to reverse the complete
banking collapse under Hoover.

If you look at a GDP chart, you will see a sharp drop in GDP (and
personal income) over several years when Hoover was president. Then you
will see a sharp rise in GDP (and personal income) after Roosevelt took
office - a remarkable record. If you were to count the jobs created by
temporary workfare programs, unemployed dropped to 5% (although this
type of measure is not correct).

GDP Chart showing staggering growth after FDR's 1933 election:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gdp20-40.jpg
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gdp20-40.jpg>

Employment Chart showing massive employment growth during FDR's
presidency beginning right after he was elected:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Employment_Graph_-_1920_to_1940.svg
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Employment_Graph_-_1920_to_1940.sv\
g>

Roosevelt did make one mistake after this. He caved in to the
conservatives in Congress (and his treasury secretary) and presented a
balanced budget, cutting stimulus spending. (Roosevelt was a fiscal
conservative before the Great Depression and also wanted to balance the
budget).

Roosevelt was also worried that inflation would ensue if GDP grew too
fast, which it was. GDP growth was tremendous. The result is that the
economy contracted 6% to 86.1 billion in 1938. The recovery slipped.
[SEE CHART ABOVE]

After FDR reversed his conservative budget mistake and returned to his
old budget, the GDP rose again. It rose 7% to 92.2 billion in 1939. It
rose 10% to 101.4 billion in 1940, which is almost where it was at the
start of the Great Depression.

The other minor mistake he made was that the deficit spending was very
small by recent standards and too mild to pull the country fully out of
recession. (Reagan learned from this mistake and massively deficit spent
the U.S. out of recession in 1982).

Around 1940 Congress and FDR finally really ramped up the GDP by
spending massively. Congress passed a massive tax increase (much on the
rich) and massively deficit spent, pumping the money into the economy
through massive military spending for World War II.

The GDP DOUBLED in just three years! Boom! The nation was at full
employment, and then some. Women and other people not working were
called into the workforce to meet the demand for workers. The problem
then was inflation. So the government enforced strict price controls.
This was not a desirable thing to do, but it needed to be done to win
the war by running the war industry at full steam.

GDP was 210.9 billion by 1944, more than double what it was when the
Great Depression began in 1929.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dixon mdixon.6569@ wrote:
> >
> > Ummm John... just now figurin' this out?

Dollars

> > Both major parties are to blame for this financial fiasco. In the
end, we as
> > taxpayers will pay for this huge bill. If not, future generations of
Americans