This clockworked mother-boarded maniquin is so far from consciousness it's a
joke.

John, you're too easily jumping far down the road.....far.

I don't think there'll be any hope for machine consciousness until quantum
computing comes online -- and even then, it will be a fake kind of
consciousness -- one that is good at creating an illusion of sentience that is
maybe only a titch better than, say, a parrot is at convincing one that it is
understanding its "impressions."

Passing the Turing test would be a good start, but that too is some distance
off....because the A.I. folks are trying to actually find out how to "do
consciousness" instead of "fooling folks."  If they wanted to merely fool
folks, they can fool about 30% of the people ALL THE TIME now, and maybe 80%
some of the time, and 99% if they know ahead of time who are the folks they'll
be fooling and can prepare for that audience.

Edg