<snip>
> I like the fact that their approach doesn't deal with excuses.
> So many other techniques and traditions have an *excuse*
> for why more students don't realize enlightenment (they're
> full of stress, they're not serious enough about their study,
> the world is too gnarly, whatever).

Again, this just pushes it all back a level;
there's no real difference, practically
speaking, in the two approaches.  In one case,
you're not enlightened; in the other, you don't
realize you're already enlightened.  Either way,
you haven't realized enlightenment.

> There are times when
> it seems to me that the more excuses a tradition has for
> NOT realizing enlightenment

There can be just as many excuses for not
realizing you're already enlightened.