> -- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Instead you cling to a comfortable caricature of me as a
> > villain with a nefarious agenda.  To each his or her own.
>
> Oops, I better not let this stand lest I be accused
> of assenting to it.
>
> No, I don't think you're a villain with a nefarious
> agenda. I think you have a tremendous amount of
> unresolved personal resentment against MMY

Hey you may be right.  Psychology is tricky isn't it?  I wouldn't give much
credence to your actually looking at me in an empathetic enough way to come to
a very profound conclusion here, and you have never really questioned me about
it outside a fairly hostile context, but you may be right.  There is nothing
intrinsically irrational about this conclusion from where you stand.

But that ad hominem argument doesn't discredit the content of what I have said
about Maharishi.  It may speak to motive, but has nothing to do with whether or
not he actually had a narcissistic personality disorder or any of the other
ideas I have about him.   Those ideas need to be refuted on their own, which
you have declined or failed to do effectively.  I would be interested to see
you go through the description of the Narcissistic disorder from the DSM and
show point by point how it fails to describe him.  To me it reads like a MERU
publication.

Looking inward, after what I felt after he died, the more likely unresolved
part is my unresolved affection for the guy.  The resentment seemed easier.  I
realized he wasn't who he claimed to be and I had to move on, grow up and give
up the guru daddy.  I stopped blaming him once I decided that he had disorder
that made him think he was so important and use people as he did.  And I'll bet
it was a psychological freak show at Joitir Math.  So it is my affection for
the guy that is harder for me to reconcile with the guy he factually turned out
to be for me.  This is fairly common among people who hung out with him some.
And I don't feel a need to "resolve" it.  I enjoy my affection for the old
coot.  I had a lot of fun with him.

I consider him a Jungian symbol for something in my own mind, a quest for
perfection that I know logically isn't a human option.  As Judith said so well
in her book, Maharishi became a composite projection of himself and the Jesus
figure of our youth.  I believe my unconscious mind still holds his image and
what he represented for me fondly. I have the same feeling about Christian
religious symbols, they represent a style of art that continues to inspire
positive feelings long after my belief system shifted away from the content of
that religion.  Nativity scenes, Vedic chanting, Sandalwood intense, Madonna
statues (without the spiked bra) all put me in a delightful frame of mind.
Same for images of Maharishi.  When I see him I feel good. Nostalgia is a
bitter-sweet feeling that I seek sometimes.

 that
> prevents you from taking a rational view of him.>

There is nothing intrinsically irrational with seeing a guy who claims to be
the vehicle for  the supreme knowledge of life to blossom in this generation
(and as you claim save the world from going down the tubes) as having the
disorder that happens to give a person these exact symptoms.   And given that
there are thousands of people with this disorder it is much more likely that he
has this than that he really really IS the guy. You never responded to my point
about why you reject Moon's claim to a very similar role.

And it isn't irrational to see that once he realized that the sidhis weren't
working as planned that marketing them was a bit of a scam.  I told you I don't
know how sincere he was about all the "knowledge" he laid on us.  There is
nothing irrational about that.  In fact given my premises that he was an
ordinary man and not the tool of "nature" it would be highly irrational of me
to view him any other way.

You mentioned that the balancing factor for his personality defects was all the
good he has done.  Can you understand that if you remove that premise you might
see him as I do, a super religious, ambitious guy who abused his self-appointed
authority with a bunch of young people while getting rich advancing his
religious and personal agendas?  The fact that you hold him in a special place
and not in the Jim Baker category may be a result of your irrational working
assumptions that are: highly likely to be true but haven't risen to the level
of belief due to their metaphysical nature, based on things in Indian religious
literature which you also use as a filter to evaluate your own subjective
experiences.

Our discussion actually contained the opposite of debating tricks.  I was
applying the Socratic method of questions to uncover assumptions behind your
statements, what they were based on.  No debater has this luxury of time.  And
there is nothing unfair about the method, it allowed you to tell me how you put
your beliefs together, what you base them on and how you construct them.  You
might be complimented that I would take the time to ask enough questions to
find out what your view is and how it differs from mine.  Your saying you "put
up with" my tactics for too long is unworthy of an interesting discussion of
different values. You had plenty of time to correct how I was restating your
position back to you to verify accuracy.

And in the end we have different conclusions and had a chance to articulate
them. I enjoyed it and learned some things.  YMMV.